Another Dish vs DirecTV question

U

Unregistered

Does anyone know if Dish is going to continue with their auto-skip commercial feature? It's one of the main reasons I want to go with their service since most of the TV watching I do is through the DVR. If they somehow lose the fight to have this feature on their DVR, I'd rather go with DirecTV.

G

Dish DVR vs Directv DVR

Does anyone know if Dish is going to continue with their auto-skip commercial feature? It's one of the main reasons I want to go with their service since most of the TV watching I do is through the DVR. If they somehow lose the fight to have this feature on their DVR, I'd rather go with DirecTV.
If you mainly use a DVR, DO NOT get Dish! Directv's DVR system is far superior to Dish's in every way, shape and form. From the ability to watch a DVR'd program, flick over to live tv (the channel you're "resting" on) & be able to rewind at least 2 hrs back is only possible on Directv. While watching live tv, and halfway through you decide to record it, simply by hitting record Directv will automatically begin recording at either at the beginning of the program or whenever you stopped on that channel. Dish makes you rewind, then hit record. The whole setting up programs to record is counter-intuitive and always leaves you wondering if you really set the show up to record. Search option, horrible. Directv does not shut completely down every night to get updates requiring you to "restart" the DVR every morning. Overall I give Dish's DVR a D-. The only saving grace is the bigger memory. I was even sold the "Hopper" feature when my service area doesn't qualify for it. I was actually told the onus was on me to know they didn't offer local channels in HD, therefore rendering the Hopper unusable. The sales person on the phone had no obligation whatsoever, even after putting in my address for install and verbally confirming the local service provider. One would think some sort of indicator would flag a "non-Hopper-friendly" service area. Yes I am bitter about that, but that in no way mitigates how terrible their DVR is.

n2rj

Staff member
Nobody knows if they'll prevail legally but the court cases will take a while to shake out. However, the request for an injunction by the networks has been denied, so Hopper and AutoHop lives... for now anyway.

I predict we will see this before SCOTUS in years to come. It will be a landmark case like Betamax.