Attention Members: We need your input!

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
OK, updated the database and modified my original post to show all new entries in alphabetical order. Thanks everyone and an extra thank you to Piggie for most of this list! I'd like to keep this thread open so we can debate, add to, or adjust current and future acronyms and abbreviations.

Piggie

Super Moderator
OK, updated the database and modified my original post to show all new entries in alphabetical order. Thanks everyone and an extra thank you to Piggie for most of this list! I'd like to keep this thread open so we can debate, add to, or adjust current and future acronyms and abbreviations.
You are welcome. There is no way we have remembered all the acronyms, so leaving it open permanently to add more is a good idea. I would say for a month or so make it sticky so it's easy to find? I am sure after a month or so input will drop off. Actually all one has to do is search the world acronym and this thread pops up. So maybe just leaving it open is good enough

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
Technically it is a database which expands abbreviations and acronyms when anyone holds their mouse over the top of one of those words.....but it's definitely not searchable.

@Piggie: Were you thinking we should have sort of a wiki style information page about each of the definitions? Or, I could create a separate thread with A/V words and link them to each of their wikipedi.com or other source that has already defined the word on the net.

Piggie

Super Moderator
Technically it is a database which expands abbreviations and acronyms when anyone holds their mouse over the top of one of those words.....but it's definitely not searchable.
Hmm, thought maybe you were buying me a hover craft in the shape of a mouse, :mad:) <-- Smiling Pig Icon, Patent Pending

Ok, I have seen the results of your work and it's nice where when you hover you get the words. It has also made it nice because I just used an acronym and it didn't come out underlined, so I know it needs to be added.

DMA = Designated Market Area (used Nielsen Media Research (television) and Arbitron (radio))
TMA = Television Market Area (used by the FCC)
READS = RabbitEars Area Designation System (used by RabbitEars.info)

Jay;15883[COLOR=black said:
@Piggie: Were you thinking we should have sort of a wiki style information page about each of the definitions? Or, I could create a separate thread with A/V words and link them to each of their wikipedi.com or other source that has already defined the word on the net.[/COLOR]
Actually I was suggesting either. Now my experience I only find about half the stuff in wikipedia when it gets esoteric on any subject. The commons ones are there at Wikipedia.

So I thought of two separate options. One is you make wiki section on this site (lot of work probably).

The other would be to just link to Wikipedia and from a separate glossary page would be good. The separate glossary page could have a one sentence explanation then a link to Wikipedia if there is a lot more information.

Both options have their merits. A wiki on this site should up your google ratings and exposure, but might be more work, no one has time to do.

The option of pointing to Wikipedia saves a lot of time, from a page that has one sentence explanations. Then if something is not covered at Wikipedia, a new page created there. If you have something here that is significant about the subject, you would do an external link pointing here (probably not that often being a forum).

Piggie

Super Moderator
Most stuff not seeing underlined, some so simple it's funny.

ABC = American Broadcasting Company
NBC = National Broadcasting Company
CBS = Columbia Broadcasting System
PBS = Public Broadcasting Service
FOX = Fox Broadcasting Company
MyNet = MyNetworkTV
MNT = MyNetworkTV
MyN = MyNetworkTV
CW = CBS and Warner Brothers

VHF = Very High Frequency
UHF = Ultra High Frequency
RF = Radio Frequency
CH = Channel

So maybe getting over the top. use what you feel is appropriate.

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
I don't know that broadcast call letters are considered acronyms? Is CH the acronym for channel? I know ch is the abbreviation for channel. VHF, UHF and RF are legitimate.

MyNet = MyNetworkTV
MNT = MyNetworkTV
MyN = MyNetworkTV

RF = Radio Frequency
CH = Channel

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
Hmm, thought maybe you were buying me a hover craft in the shape of a mouse, :mad:) <-- Smiling Pig Icon, Patent Pending

Ok, I have seen the results of your work and it's nice where when you hover you get the words. It has also made it nice because I just used an acronym and it didn't come out underlined, so I know it needs to be added.

DMA = Designated Market Area (used Nielsen Media Research (television) and Arbitron (radio))
TMA = Television Market Area (used by the FCC)
READS = RabbitEars Area Designation System (used by RabbitEars.info)

Actually I was suggesting either. Now my experience I only find about half the stuff in wikipedia when it gets esoteric on any subject. The commons ones are there at Wikipedia.

So I thought of two separate options. One is you make wiki section on this site (lot of work probably).

The other would be to just link to Wikipedia and from a separate glossary page would be good. The separate glossary page could have a one sentence explanation then a link to Wikipedia if there is a lot more information.

Both options have their merits. A wiki on this site should up your google ratings and exposure, but might be more work, no one has time to do.

The option of pointing to Wikipedia saves a lot of time, from a page that has one sentence explanations. Then if something is not covered at Wikipedia, a new page created there. If you have something here that is significant about the subject, you would do an external link pointing here (probably not that often being a forum).
Like it. I'll get working on it.

MyNet = MyNetworkTV
MNT = MyNetworkTV
MyN = MyNetworkTV

RF = Radio Frequency
CH = Channel

Networks are great. will add.

I don't know that broadcast call letters are considered acronyms? Is CH the acronym for channel? I know ch is the abbreviation for channel. VHF, UHF and RF are legitimate.
I figured I'd add abbreviations too, since forum users have a tendancy to abbreviate often. Seem like a bad idea? Little unsure about 2 letter abbreviations/acronyms because there are more variations on than 3 letter abbreviations/acronyms.

Piggie

Super Moderator
I figured I'd add abbreviations too, since forum users have a tendancy to abbreviate often. Seem like a bad idea? Little unsure about 2 letter abbreviations/acronyms because there are more variations on than 3 letter abbreviations/acronyms.
I was thinking, you might be surprised some lurkers get lost quickly in the abbreviations.

Upon reflection CH might not be so good to use. But RF is a very common abbreviation or acronym.

An aside: CBS really isn't Columbia Broadcasting System any more officially. I believe their current name is "CBS Television Network".

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
I was thinking, you might be surprised some lurkers get lost quickly in the abbreviations.

Upon reflection CH might not be so good to use. But RF is a very common abbreviation or acronym.

An aside: CBS really isn't Columbia Broadcasting System any more officially. I believe their current name is "CBS Television Network".
Noted. Will add the UHF/VHF and RF as well.

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
No LOS?

LOS = Line of Sight

:)
See I can't be the only contributor! Good!

But I thought with digital it mean Loss of Signal ?? LoL...
I see a problem with LOS. If someone states that they are in the Los Angelos area. Right? :)
LOS = Out. Sorry Aaron, HTNut has a point. ;)

Jay,
I just noticed one OS operating system and I think PC personal computer need to be added. Good job as always.
Like it, adding on Sunday.

Piggie

Super Moderator
LOS - If seen by itself it means Line of Sight

If part of the town Los Angeles, it's spanish.

And it fits as Loss of Signal, as I have seen a lot of complaints from Loss of Signal Angeles lately:banplease:

Speaking of banned, Radio Doc got a 3 year ban from DLSR. He never told me what he did. lol. But it had to have been good.