Best Comedies of 2013

For better or worse, love it or hate it, Hollywood has made a change to 3 major film channels:
A. Award chasers (12 years a slave, Gravity, Rush...
B. Cheesy/enjoyable action movies (Escape Plan, Olympus has Fallen, Iron Man 3...
C. Honest/unique/edgy comedies

As I want the people to enjoy themselves and have a fun experience watching my movie suggestions I will stick to the comedy portion of 2013. Right up to the end of the year hilarious and inspired comedies were being released in one of the funniest years in recent memory.

This Is The End

The underdog comedy of the year. One of two end of the world comedies, This Is the End proves to be one of the funniest disaster movies, if not one of the funniest ensembles comedies of all time. The only comedy where the actors portray themselves and employ so much absurdity and clever writing that you are literally on the edge of your set AND laughing at the same time. Starring James Franco, Seth Rogen, Jay Baruchel, Craig Robinson, Danny McBride, and Jonah Hill, with Michael Cera, Rhianna, Emma Watson, just to mention a few, this star-filled laugh-riot is as funny as you could hope and then some!!

We're the Millers

One of those comedies where everything that can go wrong probably will (Hangover, Date Night, Due Date) We're the Millers sets a new standard for above-and-beyond comedy. Outstanding performances from Jason Sudeikis and Jennifer Anniston, and newcomer Will Poulter, lead this comedy is a laugh-out-loud pot-smuggling trip. A great choice for anyone who loves SNL or laugh-a-minute comedy styling.

Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa

Johnny Knoxville may be listed as the star of the movie, but his grandson (played by Jackson Nicoll) steals the scene and the entire movie. Basically a spin-off of one of the best Jackass sketches, this movie tells the story (never breaking character) of a grandpa who is forcibly given custody of his troublesome grandson. Directed by Jackass veteran Jeff Tremaine, Bad Grandpa is the sketch comedy that is also 100% genuine, its a brilliant piece of comedy, and should have won the Oscar for best make-up. The loss of this category is appalling.

The World's End

Starring one of the best British comedy casts ever assembled, The World's End reunites Simon Pegg and Nick Frost with director of Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz, Edgar Wright for a bar-crawling laugh spectacular. Another end of the world comedy, The World's End tells an engaging story of alien invasion filled with the dry humor we have come to love with Simon Pegg. A must watch for 2013.

Anchorman: The Legend Continues

One of the most anticipated comedies of the past 10 years proves to be worth the wait. While not as charming and one-of-a-kind as the original Anchorman 2 reunites the Channel 4 News Team for another adventure. Dealing with technology advances, social changes, and a new political world Rob Burgundy and crew endure a hilarious and hi-jink filled experience trying to adjust to changing times. If you liked the original even just a little, go see this now.

HONORABLE MENTIONS:
The Heat
Last Vegas
Hangover 3
Movie 43
The Internship (if you're watching any of these choices make it this one!!!!)

I love Simon Pegg and some of his movies are on my top ten list for movies, however I was somewhat dissapointed by The World's End. It was funny and cool but it lacked that special something that set his other movies apart. Hot Fuzz was amazing and Shaun of the Dead was epic- The World's End just wants up to that level, at least in my humble opinion.

I think you might have been too focused on his previous comedies to truly evaluate this one. It was the banter between characters and chemistry amongst the group that made this a great film. Martin Freeman great as always, and an amazing appearance by Pierce Brosnan really capped this movie for me. Rosamund Pike, as usual, was the weak point, but luckily they chose to mstly ignore her, and that last scene where they save humanity was incredible