Bigger dish to reduce rain fad and get free locals from an outside antenna

pjs344

DTVUSA Rookie
Has anyone tried using the old Dtv world direct dish (dtv66e 36x24) or the Starchoice dish (75E 35x26) for use with Dtv ls3/ls5 swim Genie setup? These dishes are similar and bigger than the Dtv Slimline. Looks like the mounts are the same as the Slimline and if they are all that would be needed is one of the reflectors that can be swap out with the Slimline reflector if the lnb arm is the same length. If the sl3 swim does not work I am sure the older 3lnb with swim setup would. I have a Genie HR44/200 with one Mini C41-100 with the Extra package and live in southern Idaho. I estimate a 35 foot cable run from sl3 to the Genie with one 2 way Dtv splitter.

Also has anyone tried using an outside antenna setup with a Genie swim system? I was thinking of dropping my locals and using an outside antenna using the Am21 OTF dual receiver, a Sonora AD14 amp diplexer along with a Sonora sws2 diplexer designed to work with the Dtv(Dish) swim system to merge locals in and out of the same cable line without affecting swim signals.

Jim5506

DTVUSA Member
Since on one knowlegable about DirecTV has answered, I'll throw in my observations as a Dish Network Subscriber.

Simply switching to a "similar" larger dish probably will not help generally.

Larger dishes are usually larger because they are designed to accommodate more lnb's, not focus a stronger signal at the focal point.

Additionally the lnb only has a finite aperture so adding reflector outside the lnb's peripheral vision is worthless.

Dish has reflectors designed for 1, 2 and 3 lnb's which are progressively larger but with the addition of more lnb's to serve, the dish must change focus from a point (1 lnb) to a short line (2 lnb's) to a longer line (3 lnb's), thus the necessity of having a larger reflector just to maintain a desired signal strength as the focal point of the dish is dispersed over a larger area.

The truly only way to surely get stronger signals is to have a dedicated dish for each satellite and use a 1 m. or larger dish, there just aren't any multi satellite dishes made larger that the standard ones the satellite providers do themselves.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Since on one knowlegable about DirecTV has answered, I'll throw in my observations as a Dish Network Subscriber.

Simply switching to a "similar" larger dish probably will not help generally.

Larger dishes are usually larger because they are designed to accommodate more lnb's, not focus a stronger signal at the focal point.

Additionally the lnb only has a finite aperture so adding reflector outside the lnb's peripheral vision is worthless.

Dish has reflectors designed for 1, 2 and 3 lnb's which are progressively larger but with the addition of more lnb's to serve, the dish must change focus from a point (1 lnb) to a short line (2 lnb's) to a longer line (3 lnb's), thus the necessity of having a larger reflector just to maintain a desired signal strength as the focal point of the dish is dispersed over a larger area.

The truly only way to surely get stronger signals is to have a dedicated dish for each satellite and use a 1 m. or larger dish, there just aren't any multi satellite dishes made larger that the standard ones the satellite providers do themselves.
What you should be concerned with as far as size goes is the minor (smaller) axis size of he dish. The major axis (larger diameter) of a dish is what allows for multiple LNBs without re-aiming.

If you wanted to go big, you could use multiple dishes designed for FTA (Free-to-air), each with a DirecTV LNB pointed to different satellites. FTA dishes range from about 30 to 39 inches.