Question: Channel Master Antenna Rotator Control Unit

I would turn off all other electronic devices near the TV to test for possible interference. My amplified speakers completely wipe out an otherwise decent VHF channel 12, even with a rooftop antenna.

wolfcrane

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Antenna Suggestions

I was going to hire someone to work on our antenna, because we still only get a few channels. I am just not sure we can afford it, and there are few repairmen in our area.
I am thinking about just buying a new antenna, and I might be able to get my brother to help, because he has a climbing harness.
I can't do it myself, due to my disabilities either.
I was wonder what would be the best antenna for me? I was wondering if a multidirectional would be better. I'd love to find something that is fast & easy to install.
here is my results from TV Fool:
TV Fool

Thanks in advance!

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
wolfcrane,

Multidirectional antennas are possible for free HDTV but after reviewing your TVFOOL report, I think it would take significant engineering to make it work using a single fixed antenna. FYI, except in rare locations omnidirectional antennas will not work for HDTV.

A multidirectional antenna for HDTV is a confusing topic, because they rely on taking advantage of inherent 'problems' in antenna designs. If an antenna receives signals when pointed north, it may (by design) "accidentally" be able to receive signals fairly well from one or more "unexpected" directions. Choosing the 'right' antenna that "accidentally" does this is the trick and it is expensive to try a series of antennas. I have seen this accomplished locally and the cost was comparitively outrageous, with the same results had they simply used a rotor. Okay, a simpler/cleaner roofline happened.

It depends on the actual behavior of a specific antenna or an antenna array as seen here: A 16-Bay UHF Antenna Scroll thru to see real information about a directional antennas' behavior. Be aware, sometimes, the receiving minimum lobes in these charts collect noise or competing 'information' that can kill reception ... on the other hand ... sometimes they help. Don't forget to add black magic and plenty of pixie dust.

If I was you, I'd buy a new rotor with or without a remote control and work with your existing antenna. Post your results and we will work with you from there.

Jim

Last edited:

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
That's a difficult TVfool. Lots of VHF-hi, lots of directions, and lots of co-channel interference. If it were just UHF, I might suggest a large bow-tie with no reflector, because most of what you want is in opposite directions. But then there's all that co-channel...

I really think a VHF-hi / UHF combo with a rotor is the only reasonable solution here. Maybe an AntennaCraft HBU55 or a Winegard HD7697P.

G

Help we have the chanelmaster 9521A I have synchronized and everything...don't know how to get back to north west . It stopped at north & only goes east little & stops. It needs to come All the WA Back to west. Anyone have suggestions or a number that someone can help me? My husband knows nothing on it & I am the one who diggers these out. Not very techy!�� Please help! Diane

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
:welcome: Diane,

Here is a DTVUSA forum thread covering some of the CM rotor problems. https://www.dtvusaforum.com/threads/47892-Channel-Master-9521A-Rotor-It-s-better-now

I have the same rotor and haven't had problems. Are you certain the indoor control box and outdoor motor are synchronized? Is it possible the clamping bolts on the rotor body or those holding the antenna mast are loose, and the motor or mast has rotated in the wind? This would cause the compass directions to be way off, and the rotor motor cannot compensate.

Jim