Comcast Converter Box Required Now?

G

Now, all I get now from Comcast is the notice plastered on my screen that says I have to upgrade to their digital box to get any reception. Seems they've totally eliminated analog transmission at this point. I can not get the local TV that I was getting thru Comcast up until recently.

Unfortunately, it seems we are in a reception hole where we have not been successful at tuning in local TV. This is the first time in my life, age 50, that I have had cable. As a result of the Comcast transition, I've just purchased a digital antenna and hopefully we'll be able to use it to get local TV. If not, we'll be watching stuff exclusively through internet in the future. I think problem here is the NIMBY (not in my back yard) neighborhood that has resisted installation of things like cell towers - our cell phone reception through any provider it patchy at best even though we live at the top of a steep hill, overlooking the surrounding city in a residential neighborhood less than 1 mile from the freeway and major businesses. Thanks for responding and so quickly!

dkreichen1968

Staff member
Unfortunately, it seems we are in a reception hole where we have not been successful at tuning in local TV. This is the first time in my life, age 50, that I have had cable. As a result of the Comcast transition, I've just purchased a digital antenna and hopefully we'll be able to use it to get local TV.
Would you mind posting the URL (web address) for the "Radar Plot" from TV Fool for your location? That would help us, help you with local OTA reception. Also, do you have a newer digital television (HDTV or (S)DTV)? If not you will need to upgrade your TV or get a digital converter box.

Digital Stream DTV Converter Box

Magnavox Converter

RCA Converter

G

We do have newer HDTV
TV Fool
According to your TVfool result you are hardly in a reception hole. You shouldn't be having any issues getting in reception. By the way no such thing as a "digital" antenna. If you are having issues it may be because you are using an amplified antenna( I am not sure you are but if you are that might be it ) which you certainly do not need.

dkreichen1968

Staff member
Yes, with that TVfool report you should be able to get good reception of all the locals which are coming from the southwest. Like the poster above said there are no "digital antennas" just TV antennas that receive either analog or digital signals. What is important is that you have an antenna that can receive both UHF and VHF-high signals since your ABC station is on real channel 7. I'd recommend a cheap rabbitear loop combo to start. Also, you need to do a channel scan on your TV. Go into the menus, and then under probably the "setup" menus you can set the input to "air" or "antenna" and do a channel scan.

G

All I have to say is ---- Comcast!! We are now happy campers with many more channels than we'll ever watch in beautiful digital pictures. Probably paid more than necessary ($40) for a fancy-schmancy antenna TERK HDTVa Antenna but don't know for sure because we didn't try with rabbit ears. When I cancelled my Comcast service recently, the agent tried to discuss with me what the prorated last month bill would be, I read him the riot act - told him I'm fairly certain they had been billing me illegally for unavailable service and that I would be contacting my lawyer and other affected Comcast customers to further pursue the issue. His response was something like 'now that you say it, i am familiar with this issue and will take care of it for you' - a bit odd. i have since recieved several notices confirming a $0.00 balance bill. Never again!

G

So i just recently bought a HDTV and have had basic comcast cable (channels 2-24) and do not want to rent one of their digital cable boxes and pay them more a month for my service. All that i see now on my screen (on all channels) is blue saying i need to order the proper equipment to view my channels. Now my question is can i buy a digital cable box from walmart or anywhere else without renting comcast's digital cable box? I do not want to pay them more money a month for my service. I did a QAM scan for my channels but i am not getting but local channels. I like to watch abc and nbc but the channels are not showing.

G

Since comcast switched to all digital is there any digital cable boxes i can buy so i wont have to rent from them? i have basic cable (2-24) but i do not want to rent one of their devices and pay them more money a month for this service. I have an HDTV and all the channels say i need to upgrade my equipment. I did a QAM scan and i picked up a few HD channels but not any others.

n2rj

Staff member
Since comcast switched to all digital is there any digital cable boxes i can buy so i wont have to rent from them? i have basic cable (2-24) but i do not want to rent one of their devices and pay them more money a month for this service. I have an HDTV and all the channels say i need to upgrade my equipment. I did a QAM scan and i picked up a few HD channels but not any others.
I think you're out of luck. You may have to either rent their basic box or just watch the clear QAM channels while they are still available.

If you want to use your own equipment you'll have to use a CableCARD solution like TiVo, moxi or windows media center... and apart from the fact that these solutions are expensive, Microsoft has pretty much tossed WMC into the ghetto. :(