copy VHS to dvd

lokofan12

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I have Pioneer VHS Recorder and a lot of Disney Videos. I want to transfer them to DVD/DVR (cable box) to DVD but unfortunatly I can't do it as my recorder says "Copyrighted Material" What can I do against it?

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
Legally, nothing can be done. That's why those items have the copyrighted protection to prevent copying in the first place. Disney is super finicky about that.

Jim5506

DTVUSA Member
I'm not sure one of the little black boxes that filter out the copy protection will work on the Disney videos.

Unfortunately, I only have now working a combo VHS player/DVD recorder, so I can't insert the black box in the video stream like I could with two seperate units.

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
Legally, nothing can be done. That's why those items have the copyrighted protection to prevent copying in the first place. Disney is super finicky about that.
Disney is very "finicky" about their materials being used. About ten years ago our local Safeway Store had their windows painted with Disney Characters at Christmas time and they had received a cease and desist order and were forced to remove the images.

Jim

Tim58hsv

DTVUSA Member
A tad off subject but I bought one the last stand alone vcr's (Sony slv-n750) available around here and with that I can record copy protected dvd's to tape. Don't know why it works but it does. Funny thing is the vcr also records the copy protection from the dvd's so that you can't copy the video tape back onto a recordable dvd.

Marq

DTVUSA Rookie
I have done a bit of research on this and (from what I have found), It IS legal to make a copy of your material for archival purpases under the "Fair Use" act. But the copy must stay with the original. Many of todays new movies come out with (blu-ray, DVD and digital copy) all in one package. With that being said, If you can capture the movie to a computer, there is software that will burn it to DVD for you. . . Freemake, DVDstyler and DVDFlick are some that I have tried with success. Freemake has been my favorite with all of my media converters.