MLB: Dodgers/Diamondbacks in Australia

Funafuti

DTVUSA Member
Did anybody stay up late enough/get up early enough to catch the Dodgers and the Diamondbacks from Australia on the MLB Network last night/this morning? I was sound asleep at the time but got a good laugh today watching replays of Mark Trumbo misjudging a flyball to left field by about 15 feet (he climbed the fence and reached up for a ball that ended up landing at the base of the wall five feet to his left). I'm not convinced he'll produce enough offense to make up for defensive lapses like that over the course of the season, but I guess we'll see.

Anyway, I guess I'm wondering if this stealth opening weekend of MLB is on anybody else's radar or if it is being eclipsed by nonstop college basketball coverage.

Cadus

DTVUSA Member
Anyway, I guess I'm wondering if this stealth opening weekend of MLB is on anybody else's radar or if it is being eclipsed by nonstop college basketball coverage.
I'm going to be honest, this is completely accurate in my case. ESPN is March Madness at the moment. I have no idea what you're talking about with MLB in Australia. "Stealth" opening weekend sounds pretty cool, though, maybe I'll start paying attention to these ninja baseball players.

Funafuti

DTVUSA Member
While the other 28 major league teams are still in spring training mode playing exhibition games, the Dodgers and the Diamondbacks have traveled to Australia to play two regular-season games. The Dodgers won the opener and are currently ahead in the second game. When this game is over, both teams will return to the states and resume spring training for a few days. The Dodgers next real game is next Sunday against the Padres, while the Diamondbacks are off until next Monday against the Giants.

It's not the first time MLB has done this - a few years ago a couple of teams opened early against each other in Japan. It's a great way to spread MLB's brand internationally, but the games end up getting buried back here in the states.

I wasn't able to watch the games on TV, but definitely followed the results of the MLB season opener on the news. I thought it was pretty neat that the Aussies were able to convert a cricket pitch to a MLB field in just two weeks!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
4 DirecTV 0