Electron Tubes

I recently cleared out my dads garage. My dad is deceased. I found a box full of primarily RCA electornic tubes of different sizes in original packaging. There are also Sylvania, Phillips and GE electron tubes. I am not looking to make any money on these but I am wondering if there is still use for them. I would be glad to donate them to someone who could put them to good use, as long as postage is paid. There are about 2 dozen tubes total. Maybe good for the hobbyist or person who is restoring old electronics? Thanks for any input.

nbound-au

The Graveyard Shift
A hobbyist or restorer is about all they are good for. You can probably get a small amount for them on online auction sites. They still make equivalents for many tubes, this means the resale value on some are not they great.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Tubes are like gold to rock and blues musicians, who love the warm sound of old tube amps.

Once upon a time, even the corner drug store had a tube tester and stocked the most common tubes. The more rare tubes you had to go to Radio Shack and order. Now you can't even get a 100k resistor at Radio Shack, and even worse, the pimply faced kid behind the counter doesn't know what an ohm is. Trying to explain a vacuum tube to him would cause his head to asplode.

Last edited:

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
:welcome: jmichaelkel!

As you have read above, 'fresh' vacuum tubes are precious to some, but it is a very small community. I also have two cartons of known-good vacuum tubes (I tested them) in storage for my own future projects. It is unlikely I will ever use many of them but they are too good to dump and they are hardly worth saving, eh?

Jim

Last edited:

MrPogi

Staff member
danelectro centurion 273.jpg I have a Danelectro amp from 1961 that is in better shape than the one in the pic, works but makes noise. I wish I had time to fix it.

I could get up to $400+ for it if it worked better, as is - $100??? It is probably a cap, or a tube.

MrPogi

Staff member
Not sure, I was just cleaning out the shed today and re-discovered it. I'll check it out and get back to you.