FCC Notice of Proposed Rule Making to Repurpose (steal) UHF TV Spectrum

Cutthecable

DTVUSA Member
Firstly, I apologize if this is posed in the wrong forum. Moderators we ideally need a forum on FCC regulatory changes.

People its time to submit your filing to FCC against the NPRM repurposing changes!

There are only a few week or so left to file against this proposal.

http://www.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Daily_Business/2010/db1130/DOC-303095A1.pdf

The full notice of proposed rule making is here:

http://www.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Daily_Business/2010/db1130/FCC-10-196A1.pdf

To review filings use the following link:

http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/ecfs/comme...er=&submissionTypeId=&__checkbox_exParte=true

To submit a filing the FCC ET docket number is 10-235 submit at this link.

http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/ecfs/upload/display?z=ng26w

Last edited:

n2rj

Staff member
Do they actually take any letters filed into account though? How does it work?
You mean mailed letters? They scan the letters and post them online with the rest of the comments. They also stamp the letters with a received date.

That's par for the course for any Federal agency.

If you aren't filing electronically, you should use registered mail.

dkreichen1968

Staff member
I think that Aaron's question is: Do they actually care what we think? Good question... If the other 4 commissioners weren't lying in their statements they are open to being persuaded. Genachowski couldn't care less what anyone thinks. It is a matter of pride (or fulfilling his obligation to whoever is bribing him) at this point.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Genachowski couldn't care less what anyone thinks.*
*Unless you are a corporation. I think that's key to what's happened to government - individuals, even when they come together as a group, simply don't have the monetary resources to compete with big business.

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
I disagree that individuals are that ignored and helpless. Together they are noticed and FCC does respond. Maybe it takes a while, but people do get heard.

n2rj

Staff member
I disagree that individuals are that ignored and helpless. Together they are noticed and FCC does respond. Maybe it takes a while, but people do get heard.
I don't agree fully. I think a stronger impact can be made if you contact your congressperson and senators.

MrPogi

Staff member
Perhaps a copy of everyone's comment should be sent to EVERY representative and senator - not just your own - along with a copy to the president.

Note that the overwelming majority of comments strongly oppose this spectrum grab.

dkreichen1968

Staff member
Perhaps a copy of everyone's comment should be sent to EVERY representative and senator - not just your own - along with a copy to the president.

Note that the overwelming majority of comments strongly oppose this spectrum grab.
The late comments haven't come in yet. And, let's see, at the moment there are like 15 of them. 15 out of 300 million people. I certainly hope more people are writing their congress people.

MrPogi

Staff member
It just occurred to me... Since 98.5% of the most popular shows are OTA, wouldn't cutting the number of OTA channels increase internet video streaming, and cause a shortage of bandwidth?

Does this seem self-defeating?

Or is it really self - fulfilling?

re_nelson

DTVUSA Member
"Gary Shapiro, president and CEO of the Consumer Electronics Association, took the gloves off last week when referring to television broadcasters in his keynote at the CES show in Las Vegas.

Calling on the CEA to stand against trends “harmful to innovation,” Shapiro applauded the FCC’s broadband plan to reclaim underutilized spectrum from broadcasters."

Here's the full article:

Shapiro blasts broadcasters in CES keynote

n2rj

Staff member
The late comments haven't come in yet. And, let's see, at the moment there are like 15 of them. 15 out of 300 million people. I certainly hope more people are writing their congress people.
Sadly, I think almost no one knows this is happening. Ham radio FCC NPRMs get much more attention because every ham is required to know the rules before getting a license, and are generally more technical. The average TV viewer probably doesn't even know what the FCC is up to.

dkreichen1968

Staff member
Comment Posted From The Future of Music Coalition

Rock On!!! Wireless microphone users speak up!

Filing by Future of Music Coalition in 10-235 on 2011-01-12 00:00:00.0

"On behalf of our partners and friends in the performing arts space we were excited to see
that in the White Spaces Order the FCC allocated two UHF channels for wireless
microphone use and has included a method for larger venues to register in the database
for specific events. We ask that the FCC consider the potential impacts that additional
spectrum auction initiatives might have on wireless microphone users."

dkreichen1968

Staff member
"Back in early December we reported on the release of the Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM) which kicked off the long-anticipated push to free up prime blocks of TV spectrum for broadband use. The NPRM has now been published in the Federal Register, which sets the comment and reply comment deadlines. Comments are currently due by March 18, 2011, and reply comments are due by April 18, 2011. Needless to say, this is a proceeding of major league significance to a wide array of current and potential spectrum users. Attention most certainly should be paid."

Comment Deadlines Set In TV Spectrum Re-Purposing Proceeding : CommLawBlog