Forum Login "Remember Me" Problems

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
iluvtolaff wrote:

..."Another question about the forum--I'm finding I have to sign in every time I get back on the forum even though I've checked the 'Remember Me' box. Is it because I'm new here?"
--------------------------------------
:welcome: iluvtolaff,

That's a good question, because I have to re-sign-in quite often myself. :huh:

I assume the forum relies on you having 'cookies enabled' on your computer, so that might be a starting point.
Jim

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
Another question about the forum--I'm finding I have to sign in every time I get back on the forum even though I've checked the 'Remember Me' box. Is it because I'm new here?
Hi iluvtolaff, thanks for bringing this up. The forum should (in theory at least) remember your password everytime you visit the site....unless one of the following scenarios applies

1. Your browser has "Clear History" enabled w/ delete cookies enabled each time you close out of it.

2. Virus Protection Suites sometimes include Internet Privacy features such as cookie blocking to certain websites. You may need to enable dtvusaforum.com as an "ok" site.

Which browser are you using (and version number if possible) and are you using any antivirus software?

Thanks again for your question!

iluvtolaff wrote:

..."Another question about the forum--I'm finding I have to sign in every time I get back on the forum even though I've checked the 'Remember Me' box. Is it because I'm new here?"
:welcome: iluvtolaff,

That's a good question, because I have to re-sign-in quite often myself. :huh:

I assume the forum relies on you having 'cookies enabled' on your computer, so that might be a starting point.
Jim
Hey Jim, how long has this been going on? Which browser are you using again?

Fringe Reception

Staff member
serendipity ???

Jay,
I wrote the reply below 40+ minutes ago - then the Forum 'stalled' (or my AOhell did) so I waited ........... then, I killed my AOL and went right back here. No kidding, I HAD TO RE-sign in!

You did it! I know your kind ... :boink: ... you have an evil sense of humor! NOT! Too funny.

HA HA HA LOL+++++ :drinks:
Jay,
It's happened to me since around a week after I joined the Forum. I am using the newest skewed variation of the AOL 9.5 / IE browser. Oddly, the sign-in issue is random and may not happen to me for days or weeks, then one day it might happen twice and not happen again for another week.

I am using AVAST (free) antivirus, which is a pain in the butt because it updates two or three times a day and I am considering returning to AVG (also, free).

That's where I think the problem is (for me) because one time when I was 'here' - and I was simultaneously receiving an AVAST update - and when I tried to move to another Forum page, I had to sign back in! I hope this helps resolve this and thanks,
Jim

PS I have a similar (but rarely at the same time (?)) issue with the Seattle page on the AVS Forum.

PPS Update! My AVS password was missing after the above report as well. I do not think this is a 'Forum' problem ... at least for me.

Last edited:
Jay i'd also like to add that if anyone is using a public Kiosk or a computer with certain security policies in place (work/school computer) that feature may not work due to administrator settings to limit access to the hard disk, cookies, or certain plug-ins.

.....or is using an ancient web browser (FireFox .9, IE 5.5, Lynx)

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
Jay,
I wrote the reply below 40+ minutes ago - then the Forum 'stalled' (or my AOhell did) so I waited ........... then, I killed my AOL and went right back here. No kidding, I HAD TO RE-sign in!

You did it! I know your kind ... :boink: ... you have an evil sense of humor! NOT! Too funny.

HA HA HA LOL+++++ :drinks:
Jay,
It's happened to me since around a week after I joined the Forum. I am using the newest skewed variation of the AOL 9.5 / IE browser. Oddly, the sign-in issue is random and may not happen to me for days or weeks, then one day it might happen twice and not happen again for another week.

I am using AVAST (free) antivirus, which is a pain in the butt because it updates two or three times a day and I am considering returning to AVG (also, free).

That's where I think the problem is (for me) because one time when I was 'here' - and I was simultaneously receiving an AVAST update - and when I tried to move to another Forum page, I had to sign back in! I hope this helps resolve this and thanks,
Jim

PS I have a similar (but rarely at the same time (?)) issue with the Seattle page on the AVS Forum.

PPS Update! My AVS password was missing after the above report as well. I do not think this is a 'Forum' problem ... at least for me.
Jim, I must have missed this response! I haven't tested the forum with AOL browsers yet but I'll add it to my list to do. It's odd that it only occurs every so often. Could it be that you have your browser set to delete cookies every seven days or something like that?

Jay i'd also like to add that if anyone is using a public Kiosk or a computer with certain security policies in place (work/school computer) that feature may not work due to administrator settings to limit access to the hard disk, cookies, or certain plug-ins.

.....or is using an ancient web browser (FireFox .9, IE 5.5, Lynx)
Great post DU2009. Just a note too: It should be standard practice to log out of your forum account (or any account for that matter) once you're finished using a public kiosk or computer.

Fringe Reception

Staff member
Jay,
My browser is setup to accept cookies but AVAST antivirus is new to me and it may be the cause. Oddly, I was able to enter here earlier and this time I had to sign in again. However ... Avast updated between the visits.
Jim