Get Windows 10? Say goodbye to Windows Media Center

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
My computers keep showing "upgrade for free" notifications. I'm wonderiing if its worth it. I want Media center, a big negative if its not included. I am also wondering what is changed besides that. I love Win 7, only drawback to staying with it is that support will stop at some point.
The only way I would upgrade is if I were running VISTA on any computer. Total POS, I would take my chances with Win 10!

I really won't miss Windows Media Center because I'm so computer illiterate that I've never figured out of what use it is any way. I do plan to install Windows 10 on my current hard drive, which could be a major head ache as I currently run a dual boot partitioned hard drive system with Windows 7 on one side, and Linux Mint on the other. I seldom have need to boot into Windows but wish to keep it available as an option. If something goes wrong when I try to set up Windows 10 the same way I will simply kiss Microsoft goodbye, and give all the hard drive space to the Linux OS.
I'm a computer newbie. I'm always looking for smaller, simpler, faster, lighter, operating systems. I really like the Google Chrome OS. I don't like being locked into a Google world, any more then I like the Slow Bloated MS operating systems with their endless slow to install updates. Windows 7 isn't bad, but if your on a slow ISP with an old computer a smaller simpler OS is the way to go.
It could be that I like the Chrome, and Linux operating systems so much because I'm a computer newbie and have never been fully indoctrinated into MS. Microsoft operating systems are so confusing and difficult to learn that it's hard to change once you've learned them.
I'm a bit of a paradox I have great difficulty doing some things with a computer that others find easy. While there is a learning curve I have not found learning to work with current Linux operating systems to be anywhere near as difficult learning to post a photograph regardless of operating system used.
Steve

Last edited:
I had ran across this article sometime back, but only took time to read it today.
R.I.P., Windows Media Center | ZDNet
I found reading the comment section to be quite interesting. It seems the most useful feature of Windows Media center is the DVR capability. I've never understood why anyone would want to keep an entire Microsoft operating system up and running to record and watch TV. It seems to me like way too much operating system running. There has to simpler way. I do realize there are not a lot of good options out there right now. There are those who claim to have it all up and running using Android and Kodi. Now getting that up and running seems like a major head ache to me.
Steve

I ran across this youtube video a couple of weeks ago and found it quite interesting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yRp0j-6xmE
I started looking at the needed shopping list and the price tag adds up when you add the needed tuner, and hard drive.
I don't have and have never ran any kind of Android device. I think there is a lot of junk out there, and even a few what appear to be pirated program scams.
Steve

I had ran across this article sometime back, but only took time to read it today.
R.I.P., Windows Media Center | ZDNet
I found reading the comment section to be quite interesting. It seems the most useful feature of Windows Media center is the DVR capability. I've never understood why anyone would want to keep an entire Microsoft operating system up and running to record and watch TV. It seems to me like way too much operating system running. There has to simpler way. I do realize there are not a lot of good options out there right now. There are those who claim to have it all up and running using Android and Kodi. Now getting that up and running seems like a major head ache to me.
Steve
I think the main things you get with Windows Media Center as a DVR is flexibility and endless expansion of storage. More so than what traditional DVRs offer. It's definitely not easy to set up. And sometimes buggy.

Tim58hsv

DTVUSA Member
I just finally upgraded to Windows 10 and am actually happy with it. When they said Windows Media Center wouldn't be included I thought that meant Windows Movie Maker would be gone too, but it's still there, so Color me a happy camper with Windows 10. :)

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
I upgraded the laptop to Win 10. The media server is staying win 7 for now, until I find a decent replacement for WMC... and replace a video card that doesn't have a Win 10 driver.

I'm happy w/ win 7, I just want extended support.

Tim58hsv

DTVUSA Member
Thanks Sam but I had no luck with the install.

I'm just not that tech savvy, besides, my hauppauge TV tuner card serves the purpose for viewing and recording OTA shows with a computer. It's not as good as Windows Media Center was but it does OK.

I tried and tried but this is all it gives...

Attachments