Goonies sequal

bunny22

DTVUSA Member
I liked the original movie when I was younger, but I think it will be a hard film to make a sequel to... especially since so much time has passed. Expectations will be way too high, so the result will probably not live up to them. Also, the cast was a bunch of kids who are now old enough to play parents or grandparents. Sometimes doing a "next generation" sequel works and sometimes it doesn't.

Thomas123

DTVUSA Member
I liked the original movie when I was younger, but I think it will be a hard film to make a sequel to... especially since so much time has passed. Expectations will be way too high, so the result will probably not live up to them. Also, the cast was a bunch of kids who are now old enough to play parents or grandparents. Sometimes doing a "next generation" sequel works and sometimes it doesn't.
I hate this idea. It's an 80's classic! It's like when they made Grease 2...Why? Somethings are best left as is and I believe this is one of those things. Not looking forward to this at all. The 80's are the 80's and that is why they were so special and tacky and weird. 2000's so far have been just grasping at other era's to try make it's mark. I'm not opposed to nostalgia BUT 2014 can't be what the the 80's or 90's (not sure why it would want to be the 90's) were just because it steals their stuff. It needs to find its own thing....

Funafuti

DTVUSA Member
The people who view movies as an art form are generally not those in charge of the massive amount of money it takes to make, market and distribute a feature film. The people with the money see movies as investments, and they treasure the sure thing above the risk almost every time. Franchises are much safer bets than new material, which is why you'll see loads of sequels, remakes and adaptations, most of which don't seem to make any artistic sense.

MMkaho

DTVUSA Member
Well yea of course people are gonna invest in it i mean it could pull in a whole lot of revenue, but maybe a remake would have been better

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
Can't wait for the sequel, but doubt it's going to be as good as the first one. Most movies that I've seen in the past year or two haven't been that great.

I disapprove of doing an overdue sequel for nostalgia's sake but at least Richard Donner is on board. They would need to darken the tone considerably and make it an adult reflection on childhood for the idea to work as a sequel. I think Return to Oz worked on that principle (although it was a commercial disaster!). At least there is something pure and innocent to twist, which I think is all you need to justify a sequel.

DM28

DTVUSA Member
well if it goes through it could end well im gonna give it watch when it gets released
I'm sure they will make bank simply by targeting this movie towards people in their late 20's and early 30's who grew up watching this movie.

I for one, just hope they don't mess with the original.