highest price Roku

FWAmie

DTVUSA Member
Well the lowest price I have seen a roku go for is 49.95 on wal-mart.com. Now what is the highest price any of the roku models go for? And were is the highest price located?

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
The Roku 3 is the newest streaming box from Roku too. Faster processor and a few more options but less inputs for older TVs. Most people are better off going with a Roku 2XS unless they have a newer HDTV with an HDMI input.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
I have never had a problem with "refurbished" items.I've found that most refurbished items were returned by people who didn't know what they were buying, or couldn't figure out how to use it. Stupid people buy a Roku and think they can watch live cable TV without paying- they just "assume", and return it when it doesn't do what they imagine!

Two examples:
Someone bought a Roku, and then returned it because there are no parental controls.
Someone bought a portable TV, and returned it because they didn't know they need to set "source" to antenna and do a channel scan.

If you can get something refurbished by the manufacturer, it's almost always a great deal. In the first place, items straight off the assembly line have a pretty high failure rate. Most everything is made in China nowadays, sometimes by children in hellish conditions. Thorough testing is often NOT done. Something refurbished is pretested by a consumer, and then repaired and tested some more by the manufacturer -- often in a U.S. shop by qualified professionals.

Then you get anywhere from 10 to 40% off as a reward for letting someone else do all your work for you. And you normally get the same warranty and same peripherals as brand new!

It's a slam dunk.

Rick

FWAmie

DTVUSA Member
Wow, that actually makes me want to look for refurbished items now. As far as the "children in hellish conditions" they still do that? Or is the U.S. the only one that doesn't do that anymore?

Wow, that actually makes me want to look for refurbished items now. As far as the "children in hellish conditions" they still do that?
Sure they do. They fight for the privilege to work 12 hour days, sometimes 7 days a week. It's better than starving. Average pay is about $1.50 an hour. They often live in dorms, with 50 workers per toilet and 90 workers per shower. Hot water is not an expected standard.

There are reports factories that make products for hp have improved quite a bit. Apple to a lesser degree. But wages are still well under $2 an hour, and there are hundreds of other companies world wide that stamp their wares "Made in China." The country is dirt poor. People with jobs are the lucky ones. Yet China is not the poorest nation on earth, by any means.

Rick

[video=youtube_share;DMWUNwMFRlk]http://youtu.be/DMWUNwMFRlk[/video]

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Sure they do. They fight for the privilege to work 12 hour days, sometimes 7 days a week. It's better than starving. Average pay is about $1.50 an hour. They often live in dorms, with 50 workers per toilet and 90 workers per shower. Hot water is not an expected standard.

There are reports factories that make products for hp have improved quite a bit. Apple to a lesser degree. But wages are still well under $2 an hour, and there are hundreds of other companies world wide that stamp their wares "Made in China." The country is dirt poor. People with jobs are the lucky ones. Yet China is not the poorest nation on earth, by any means.

Rick
There are poorer countries that are friends of the USA where we could have our stuff built and make a positive difference in their lives, rather than fund China's buyout of the USA.

There are poorer countries that are friends of the USA where we could have our stuff built and make a positive difference in their lives, rather than fund China's buyout of the USA.
??? You mean we would stop begging them to loan us tons of money, if hp and other US companies took their jobs elsewhere ???

Oh I get it! They wouldn't have any money left to loan us! Guess then we'd have to do something crazy, like balance the budget or something. Pogi, you're conservative and you didn't know it!

Rick

FWAmie

DTVUSA Member
I have absolutely nothing against China, but why does everything we get always come from China and really no other country? When if we actually used other countries they wouldn't be so poor? Now as far as the pay, why does it suck? I mean ours seems decent for the most part. I mean China seems to be a pretty decent "Money Holder" so to speak. They could at least pay better!

I have absolutely nothing against China, but why does everything we get always come from China and really no other country?
It's a decision of the companies that sell the products. I think China is a sweet spot right now. You can build a factory (there aren't revolutionaries in the street every day, blowing stuff up), yet you can get reliable labor at a very cheap price.

When if we actually used other countries they wouldn't be so poor?
It's not about making a country less poor, it's about making the company more rich. If the CEO and board make anything else their top priority, they can be sued by the stockholders. They have a fiduciary responsibility.

Now as far as the pay, why does it suck? I mean ours seems decent for the most part. I mean China seems to be a pretty decent "Money Holder" so to speak. They could at least pay better!
They are a communist nation. Communism doesn't work, pure and simple. Even if we could get a working democracy in there, it would take a couple generations for their standard of living to come up to ours. They have a ton of work to do on infrastructure -- sewer systems, power lines, roads ... EVERYthing. Everyday, we rely on the work done by previous generations to set up a system that provides the basics. It doesn't happen overnight.

Let's say China had an extra trillion dollars to blow on good relations with the citizens. They really don't, but just say. They have 1.35 billion people over there. That's $740 for every man woman and child. How long is that going to last?

Rick

tmcmeekin

DTVUSA Member
Now is having a refurbished item really a bad thing? I mean what are the pros and cons?
I've gotten 2 refurbished laptops. The first lasted me about 6 years (which it was terribly frustrating by the end, but only because it was old and obsolete). I'm using the second right now, and it's less than a year old, but I've had no major problems.

I would have gotten my Roku refurbished if it was just for me, but the family members I share it with are pickier about things like that.

I think whether buying any refurbished or used item makes sense depends how much money you'll save, and what type of object it is, and who you're buying from... if it's only a couple dollars difference I'd usually buy a new item, but for larger savings I'd try a reputable refurbished item for sure.