Question: How can hook up game consoles to vintage crt tvs?

I'm thinking about finding an old school 1970's-80's TV set with the woodgrain and metallic knobs. I don't know much about them when comparing them to newer crts from 10-15 years ago. (I was born in 1992) The newer crts include s-video and yellow-red-white rca connectors. What sort of converter cable or box do I need so I can hook up a Classic Nintendo or an Xbox?

The older TVs did not have the RCA connectors, and even older ones did not have a coax connector. You will need a RF modulator, and possibly a 75 to 300 ohm balun. The RF modulator should be easy to find.
http://www.amazon.com/RCA-Compact-R..._sbs_pc_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0SZZ1HBW4JE97JRPWXKY
The balun is not as widely available as they were a couple of years ago, but shouldn't be to hard to find.
Amazon.com: 75 to 300 Ohm UHF/VHF Matching Transformer: Electronics
If an s-video connection is needed modulators with s-video input are available.
Steve

dkreichen1968

Staff member
I'm thinking about finding an old school 1970's-80's TV set with the woodgrain and metallic knobs. I don't know much about them when comparing them to newer crts from 10-15 years ago. (I was born in 1992) The newer crts include s-video and yellow-red-white rca connectors. What sort of converter cable or box do I need so I can hook up a Classic Nintendo or an Xbox?
Okay, why?

Up until 2002 I had a 1979 Quasar TV with a screwed up tuner and only 300 ohm inputs. Now I have 4 HDTVs. Why would you want to go back?

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
W Comcast 0
E Comcast 0
D Comcast 0