I have a really late Redbox movie to return!

U

Unregistered

Is there any maximum charge that Redbox can charge you if you're late for like 30 days? I completely forgot to return my movie this month.

dkreichen1968

Staff member
For each day you keep a rental, you'll be charged the daily fee + applicable tax. You have the maximum rental period listed at the kiosk (20 days almost everywhere for DVDs) to return the movie before you'll be charged the maximum charge, after which the disc is yours to keep. Those charges are $24 + tax for DVDs ($25.40 in Maryland), $34.50 + tax for Blu-ray™ Discs ($35.51 in Maryland) and $60 + tax for video games ($61.48 in Maryland). At kiosks where DVDs rent for $1 a day, the maximum rental period is 25 days and the maximum rental charge is $25 + tax.
From The Redbox Site Here: https://redbox.custhelp.com/app/how_to/a_id2/101

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Yea, you probably own it now.

If you're in for 30 days already, and if you only have a day or two to return it before you own it, you may as well keep it.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
Was it Blockbuster that used to try and charge extreme late fees above and beyond the cost of a DVD which prompted a law or something? I think? Tried searching and couldn't find it but I thought I remember back in the 90's where people used to have to pay fines of $50 in late fees. Maybe I'm wrong.

D

dumb

I kept a redbox movie for over twenty-five days and was charged. No problem, My movie..... Was wondering if I get a refund when my wife decided to do the right thing and return the movie?????

G

Redbox charged me $124 for a movie I returned about 2 weeks late. I had rented it with 2 other movies I had returned after 1 day. They count the 3 movies as one transaction, and calculate the late fee based on the entire transaction.

So, word to the wise: If you rent several DVDs at a time and lose one, don't return ANY of them. You could be billed more than the value of the DVDs. (legal loophole)

G

Guest Dan

Where are the Lawyers?

If you apparently can be charged more than the replacement value of the rented movie for late charges accumulated on movies rented from Redbox anytime. I cannot believe that a Class Action lawsuit for Unjust Enrichment has not yet been successfully brought.

DM28

DTVUSA Member
It's yours now. I hope it was a good one at least. Redbox TOS states that it will be yours to keep if you have had it for more than 25 days if i recall correctly.

G

please help

But what if payed the25 dollers like I did but my girl came over and did not tell me she took the dvd and return them, when I came home they were missing

G

Bump... I'd love to know what happens if a video is returned that you already paid the max for because that happened to me...

Bump... I'd love to know what happens if a video is returned that you already paid the max for because that happened to me...
If you've already paid the max price for overdue rental, I'm willing to bet that they just keep the movie when you return it. Your best bet is to call them first and tell them you found it and see if you can get some money back for mailing it to them or dropping off at a kiosk.

N

Natasha T

I know this is way old, but I just returned a movie after the max rental period and thought my experience could possibly help others in the same boat. I did not realize already asked been charged, though. After I returned it then realized this, I called Redbox. They said because it was my first time doing this they could give me $15 back (roughly half the amount I paid because it was blu-ray. It sounded like even if I had done it prior they would have given me some kind of refund, just a lesser amount.

J

James Jameson

Redbox fees😣

No you are not wrong at all in the 90s if you lost a video video rental they would charge you $29.99 for the value of the videotape, nowadays with Blu-ray I'm sure they can charge at least up to the retail value of that DVD if not a few dollars more SO BEWARE!!!

G

I had mine for 20 days..accidentally left it in the player. I checked my bank account and they charged me 27 bucks. Guess I own Gods of Egypt...

G

Guestlindsey

If you apparently can be charged more than the replacement value of the rented movie for late charges accumulated on movies rented from Redbox anytime. I cannot believe that a Class Action lawsuit for Unjust Enrichment has not yet been successfully brought.
I rented a movie last weekend and totally forgot to return it back to Redbox. How much have they charged me? For what I'm guessing 7 days from Saturday to Saturday ?