I lose ability to connect to my router when I connect Time Warner's modem. - Time Warner Internet

This question is about "I lose ability to connect to my router when I connect Time Warner's modem.", with Time Warner Cable internet and apps. This is a weird one and I've never seen anything like it while doing networking either professionally or for friends. I was going to change some of the settings of my router the other day and found that I couldn't connect to my router at 192.168.x.x.

After lots of troubleshooting (disconnecting all devices, turning off wi-fi and trying a direct connection, etc) I found the only way I could access my router was if I turned it off, disconnected the ethernet cable from the modem (thereby disconnecting my internet), turning the router back on. At this point I could connect to the router either wired or wirelessly.

As soon as I plugged the ethernet cable back in to the router I lost access to my router. Internet access still works, but I can't get to my router's control panel.

To make things even weirder if I disconnect the ethernet cable I don't regain access to the router until I power cycle it. I'm going to take the router to a different house and try it to narrow it down to the actual time warner modem.

Any ideas?

I lose ability to connect to my router when I connect Time Warner's modem.?