Is television turning into Hollywood? Is the line between TV and movies shrinking?

Since the 50s television has dominated American culture and daily life. It's no surprise that many plotline stories and even characters that we recognize and come to know and love from shows are simply just newer versions of an older show. With the recent memory of shows like Friends, Seinfeld, and That 70s Show, television writers have been hard-pressed to create a charming, fresh, and engaging story. The 90s and 2000s were defined by the comedy group show, and almost archaic attempts at sci-fi. Most of the shows released were rehashed versions of old 50 shows or basically plots that Hadman inspired by shows that it come long before their time. The Writer's Guild strike of 2007-2008 changed all of that. The only shows that survived were the truly great ones, the ones that were captivating, shows like Lost. This raise the bar on television, setting a new standard for shows that go above and beyond traditional programming.

Suddenly you started getting television shows with mainstream Hollywood actors. Since the induction of television into the American household stars of the silver screen aspire to one day make it to Hollywood and launched their careers as a movie actor, lately however this process has reversed. Every TVs channel vies to have the biggest name as the star of their shows, The selling point for many of the shows being that star. With Kevin Spacey's breakout political hit drama House of Cards delighting audiences and re-crowning Netflix as the king of streaming video, every network has scrambled and done anything in their power to secure a big-name actor to sell their shows. Wether it is Laurence Fishbourne on CSI or Kevin Bacon in the Following casting a name of such status almost guarantees a successful show, look at how quickly Greg Kinnear's Rake is taking off. The problem that this brings about is whether or not this establishes the norm for television here on out. The improvements to shows following the added star power can easily be seen in traced but is this a good thing? Should movies and TV share the same pool of actors or should one standalone as the main fantasy creation of Hollywood while the other entertains us in a much more realistic fashion on a daily basis?

This dilemma brings me to my next point. Not only has the acting stock improved on television but production value and CGI is now becoming a major factor in multiple TV shows. Shows like Once Upon a Time tell a fantastical story based in legend with no small helping of digital effects. True the cgi does not compare to a large budget Hollywood film of today but the technology is there an one could argue that shows today look better than some movies animated only 10-15 years ago. Again using house of cards as an example, Big budget directors are also making the transition to the small screen. With actors directors and animating companies working on projects on the small screen will this diminish the quality of films that we receive in movie theaters? I am certainly not making an argument against the advancements on television, I love Once Upon a Time and House of Cards, but when it comes to entertainment movies have always been my passion and I have to ask will this be the end of big-budget blockbusters?

You are right I have noticed a great deal of movie stars now turning to television. I think of actress Kerry Washington who is known for her role on the Thursday hit Scandel. I never really cared for her in movies but now that she is on this show her name is everywhere. I personally don't watch the show but from the look of my Facebook page on Thursday it is something to see. I don't think moves like this will affect the big screen but it does give thought to why the transition is taking place.

I'm glad you took the question back to the 1950s because I think the relative prestige factor of TV and Hollywood changes over time and is historically cyclical. Critics said that TV was artistically outdoing Hollywood in the early 1950s when US TV anthology drama were acclaimed and validated culturally, and the criticism even then was that TV could do a better story than Hollywood. At that time, movie stars were lining up to be involved in television. In the 1960s (ironically as a result of Hollywood influence) TV's reputation declined, and the 'vast wasteland' ideas about network television set in and lasted through most of the 1970s. In the 1980s/1990s 'quality' TV shows like Hill Street Blues and Twin Peaks drew Hollywood directors, producers and actors back to television. And now it's happening again.