Need Help

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
:welcome: Bill

Your antenna survey results are very good, but this may require two antenna systems: one for the stations to your SE and another for stations to your NW. I suggest you try a single antenna aimed SW and if there are missing networks which are (may) be available to your NW, we can add a second antenna system but it would require an A-B switch to select the proper antenna. A better thought would be to use an antenna rotor to be able to aim it at the appropriate source. All of your stations are UHF channels except for channels 10 and 11 which are high-band VHF, so this requires a combination antenna or two antennas pointing SW and another pair pointing NW.

An example of a medium-gain combination high-band VHF / UHF antenna is a Winegard HD7694P: http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=HD7694P Others here will probably chime in with their recommendations for you.

Also, several of the real channels on your antenna survey will be changing to different channels over the next two years. As examples, WGGB-40, will become channel 26: WEDH-45 will become channel 30 and WTIC-31 will become channel 34. All real channels above 35 will be reassigned or they will go away. You can research individual channel number changes here: https://www.nab.org/repacking/clearinghouse.asp This is important because when they change, you will have to rescan your tuner to be able to continue receiving them. I hope this helps.

Jim

Jim5506

DTVUSA Member
You have one VHF-high channel that is LOS (WWLP-DT NBC) and ABC and PBS are 90 off azimuth from the bulk of your channels, but they are the closest and strongest signals.

CBS is the weakest major network channel, si I'd model my reception around getting it on real channel 33 (virtual channel 3).

Personaly I'd try to find a Chanel Master 4228, but failing that I'd try to find another 8 bay cat-whiskers type UHF antenna that has a solid reflector screen across the back to help with VHF, but I don't see many like that around.

Today's 8 bay antennas have gimmicks like articulated bays and other useless stuff, one of those Solid Signal articulating 8 bays might help with the off azimuth stations, but I don't know how well they perform on VHF-high.

The Yagi antennas tend to be too directional, you might not get ABC and PBS off the side of one.

Whatever you buy,I would buy one locally if I can find one and make sure I can return it if it does not do the job.

Jim5506 pointed out many of the same things I saw looking at your TV Fool report. I took time to look at RabbitEars.Info reports for your area. WSHM-LD is a CBS affiliate with a strong signal in your area, but that signal comes from yet another direction.
http://www.rabbitears.info/search.p...iles=40&address=&lat=&lon=&dbtype=dBm&height=
The channel Repack plan for Springfield, MA. Shows that WGBY will be moving to channel 13 high VHF.
http://www.rabbitears.info/repackch...state=MA&mktid=&owner=&sort=&ph=&lss=&status=
I would suggest trying the new Antennas Direct ClearStream 2MAX. It is bidirectional, and has a very wide beam width. As one who has always been quite critical of Antennas Direct products, and marketing. When I first saw the ClearStream 2MAX I thought it was a step backwards from the well known ClearStream 2V. They made it bidirection with less gain, but in some areas that might be the right antenna. Your signals are predicted to be quite strong. Be prepaired to experiment with placement, and aiming.

bhowe

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I tried an antenna similar to the one below. Pointed it towards channel 22. I got 11 channels, 22, 40, 61, 24 and versions of each number. Do you think the Winegard will get me to CBS? antenna.JPG

JSmith

DTVUSA Rookie
I bought the Winegard Platinum Series HD7694P. I'll let you know how it works out once installed. What angle should I aim it at?
Thanks
Bill
You need to find out where the nearest transmitters are to your location and appropriate polarity. I would also suggest obtaining a signal meter to ascertain the best position for your antenna or if not DIY have a qualified installer check it out for you.

JSmith default_ninja.gif

Fringe Reception

Staff member
You need to find out where the nearest transmitters are to your location and appropriate polarity. I would also suggest obtaining a signal meter to ascertain the best position for your antenna or if not DIY have a qualified installer check it out for you.

JSmith View attachment 3837
JSmith,

bhowe already shared his antenna survey with us (Post #10 above) http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e6a40b072c590f and obtaining an 8VSB digital signal meter is (at least) a $3,000.00 option and by the way, Sadelco closed its doors a couple years ago, so meters are now more expensive and second-hand meters are harder to come by.

In the Americas, ALL television broadcasting is horizontally polarized or circular polarized, unlike in Australia which uses (mainly) vertically polarized antennas.

THE DTVUSA FORUM is online to help people establish their own FREE over-the-air reception without having to hire professional installers such as myself and many others who share our collective knowledge and we make 'edumacated' recommendations, but no promises.

Jim and the DTVUSAFORUM Staff

Last edited:

bhowe

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Winegard Platinum Series HD7694P is installed and pointed at around 220 degrees. I was able to go from 11 channels to 18 channels. I now get all the major networks. Pretty happy with it. Thanks for the help.
I did notice that the TV at the same end of the house gets all 18 channels. The one at the far end of the house only gets 3 channels? I assume its the cable length and or cable quality. Is an amp required to reach the far end. I'll get a measurement tonight, but its probably 75 feet horizontally from the antenna.

Fringe Reception

Staff member
bhowe,

Congratulations on your 18 channels! My guess is the coaxial cable is damaged or waterlogged. I split my received signals (including a station 75 miles away) 4-ways around my home using about 110 feet of coax on the longest run using no amplifiers.

Jim

While an inexpensive inline amp at the start of the cable run to the distant room might solve the problem. I would suspect that you have a coax, or connecter problem.

bhowe

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Now, I have no channels. I had 18 and now I get one fragmented channel. I still have my old antenna, I'll hook it up to eliminate the Winegard as the issue. Then I guess I'll have to start replacing cable? I have one run from the antenna to the ground. From there the coax goes into a ground block. From there directly into the house. Any ideas on how to trouble shoot?

bhowe

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I changed the cable from the antenna to the ground block and reconnected it. Wow, now I get like 30 channels. Obviusly something wrong with that section of cable. I think its R59 cable. I noticed I had an screw on F connector on one end. It didn't look set up to well? Are the wires on the outside of the coax just shielding? If so it should have worked. Are the screw on F connectors alright to use? Should I order some R6 cable to replace that section?