Recode asks how much you'd pay to watch YouTube

tmcmeekin

DTVUSA Member
Re/code has an interesting article on ways that YouTube, and other companies that work with the YouTube community, plan to make more money:

How Much Would You Pay to Watch a YouTube Video? | Re/code

How much would *I* pay?

For 99.999% of YouTube videos - nothing. The vast majority of YouTube content is worthless, and frankly you'd need to pay me to watch it.

For perhaps a few channels - like scripted web series or vloggers who I really like - I might pay a small amount. But I would not pay this to YouTube. I'd use Patreon or Kickstarter or their own web stores to donate, and most likely only if I get products/rewards for it. Heck, I'd rather mail them a check or PayPal them directly than pay Google/YouTube, if I'm going to be out the money, because I don't trust Google to pass it on.

I already "pay" by willingly watching ads. I used to use ad-blocking software, but then I made a decision to turn it off and let the ads play, because I want to support the creators (in a very small way).

I think if YouTube goes too far - like they may with the rumored music service deals that will hurt indie musicians, blocking those who don't agree to YouTube's contracts - then another service will just crop up to take YouTube's place as the dominant force in web video. I actually would like to see more competition in this area, even if YouTube backtracks on those changes, because they are already hindering content creators in other ways.

dkreichen1968

Staff member
If I didn't have Youtube, I might pay for some of their content, but I wouldn't buy it from Youtube. What I like about Youtube, is if I want to watch something, it's probably on Youtube!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Comcast 0