Record streaming video from intenet TV

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
There are a lot of people interested in recording programs viewed on Internet TV. Hulu - Watch your favorites. Anytime. For free. is one of my favorites. Hulu and other online services stream their programming in real time, which makes it difficult to record. I discovered some software that may be interesting to some of you that frequent these internet TV websites. I haven't personally purchased the software, but found a reliable review on PCWorld. I believe with a little work the streamed video could be recorded to your PC and storred on your iPod Video. It should also be possible to burn from your PC to a DVD for viewing on a television. The software is Replay Media Catcher.
How to Record Hulu Shows for Offline Viewing - PC World
Description of Replay Media Catcher

Replay Media Catcher makes it easy to download online video and audio/MP3 streams from millions of popular sites, with more supported formats and protocols than any other stream capture program. All media from Flash and Windows Media servers can be recorded, as well as MP3 song files from many popular online music radio sites. Replay Media Catcher can even capture multiple streams simultaneously. Plus, only Replay Media Catcher has a SmartNames feature to automatically name and tag most video & MP3 files. This eliminates weird, unreadable, cryptic file names forever. Replay Media Catcher is fully functional for YouTube files in demo mode. Try it today!
Replay Media Catcher | Audio Download | PC World

I use a Freeware called 'Moyea Flash Video Downloader' but it has issues trying to record from sites like Hulu, NBC, or In2TV. the way they got their adverts set up (esp the one before the video) they're split into chunks. if you try to use the link to the video you only get the initial advert. same if you try recording after the advert, you get about 7-9 minutes (the first chunk) then when the next advert plays, you stop. that's kinda rough to find out how to get all the separate parts together.

Works fine for sites with parts split up, such as Youtube, but then your choice are limited. i can only find BattleStar Galactica on NBC and Hulu, not yet compatible with Moyea FLV Downloader. same for countless others such as Airwolf, Knight Rider, etc

I can only hope that like Star Trek, they will end up on Youtube after awhile, being they're very old series.

Geanny

DTVUSA Jr. Member
The reason u got only the adverts from movies is that now movies are rtmpe, encrypted files and they cannot be downloaded anymore, just captured and ur soft seems it doesn't support those encrypted files. I use for this Tunebite, it also can download .flv files from other music or streaming sites, but also capture rtmpe files. Also converts the files into the formats I need so I can enjoy them on my players. ;)

TVTom51

DTVUSA Member
The reason u got only the adverts from movies is that now movies are rtmpe, encrypted files and they cannot be downloaded anymore, just captured and ur soft seems it doesn't support those encrypted files. I use for this Tunebite, it also can download .flv files from other music or streaming sites, but also capture rtmpe files. Also converts the files into the formats I need so I can enjoy them on my players. ;)
Will Tunebite convert to DVD format?

Geanny

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Yes, tunebite can convert to dvd formats, all u have to do is to select before converting "Optimized for burning to a DVD" or smth like that and it also can burn ur files to dvds.

BCF68

DTVUSA Member
If Hulu wanted you to record their shows they would let you. The fact they don't means they don't. Trying to record a show off Hulu is copyright infringement. You want to know why media companies are reluctant to put more stuff online and reluctant to put it on without DRM. Well it's stuff like this. Now Hulu is starting a subscription service. Partly I would assume is people trying to record their shows. At least now they'll get paid. Meanwhile HONEST people like me are the ones that get screwed over. Thanks guys.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
If Hulu wanted you to record their shows they would let you. The fact they don't means they don't. Trying to record a show off Hulu is copyright infringement. You want to know why media companies are reluctant to put more stuff online and reluctant to put it on without DRM. Well it's stuff like this. Now Hulu is starting a subscription service. Partly I would assume is people trying to record their shows. At least now they'll get paid. Meanwhile HONEST people like me are the ones that get screwed over. Thanks guys.
Is it copyright infringement to record from the radio too? How about your DVR? Because that's copying too you know. People like to record things other than to distribute on the internet you know. Namely to watch at a later date or time.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Ok, here's how to do this in a completly legal way:

Find a BetaMax. ( VHS would probably do, but the courtcase that decided this was vs. Sony for the BetaMax, http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php..._Universal_City_Studios,_Inc.&oldid=369067502 so its the way to go!)
Take the output from your computers video card and tape it. You now have a copy, and have broken no law.

also, in 2005, http://www.eff.org/IP/P2P/MGM_v_Grokster/ the Supreme Court refused to overturn the Betamax precedent, but it also refused to clarify it.

So, its okay to put it on my beta, but not my hard drive, both of which are magnetic media, for personal use?

Last edited:
Ok, here's how to do this in a completly legal way:

Find a BetaMax. ( VHS would probably do, but the courtcase that decided this was vs. Sony for the BetaMax, Sony Corp. of America v. Universal City Studios, Inc. - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia so its the way to go!)
Take the output from your computers video card and tape it. You now have a copy, and have broken no law.

also, in 2005, EFF: MGM v. Grokster the Supreme Court refused to overturn the Betamax precedent, but it also refused to clarify it.

So, its okay to put it on my beta, but not my hard drive, both of which are magnetic media, for personal use?
Is there anyone try this? It sounds worth to try and a strictly legal way. hope this means is not that difficult to achieve.

Personally I use online video recorder to record video when it streams, many people do it like me. It's a method which is time and effort saving that you just launch it and open the video you want to watch on website then it will detect video source for direct recording. Many sites works well with this software, it's definitely a backup solution for you to try.

We always met some good streaming video on internet. Personally, I like to use some screen recorder to help me record internet streaming video. It can help me capture any video or audio files on my computer with high quality, and I can save the video as standard video format file. This program is applicable to any website.