RIP Harold Ramis. And Ghostbusters 3?

Egon Spengler, the brilliant leader of a rag-tag group of scientists, and Winston, has passed away today at the young age of 69.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/ghostbusters-star-writer-harold-ramis-dies-69/story?id=22651174

Harold Ramis one of the all-time comedy greats, on both sides of the camera, has died today from complications involved with autoimmune inflammatory vasculitis at the too young age of 69. He leaves behind his wife, a daughter, and two sons, and shoes that can never be filled.

Ramis began his major comedy career on SCTV, a show starring such names as John Candy, Eugene Levy, Rick Moranis, Martin Short, and Catherine O'Hara. From there he became one of 3 writers for the great and unforgettable National Lampoon's Animal House. From there he moved on to other greats such as Stripes, Caddyshack, National Lampoon's Vacation, Groundhog Day, and the list goes on.

The condolences from his closest friends and colleagues are heart-breaking and make this news even harder to comprehend.

Bill Murray

"Harold Ramis and I together did 'The National Lampoon Show' off-Broadway, 'Meatballs,' 'Stripes,' 'Caddyshack,' 'Ghostbusters' and 'Groundhog Day.' He earned his keep on this planet, God bless him."

Dan Akroyd

"Deeply saddened to hear of the passing of my brilliant, gifted, funny friend, co-writer/performer and teacher Harold Ramis. May he now get the answers he was always seeking."

Angela Kinsey

"On set we were sharing stories...Harold Ramis told us he once put on his ghostbusters suit for Halloween & greeted trick or treaters."

These paint a picture of a brilliant and compassionate man, one who new the value of standing in the actors shoes and sitting in the director's chair, even the writer's table. His brilliance and quality of writing will transcend the test of time and will provide laughs and enjoyment for generations to come.

The heart-break and sadness also brings to question the status of some future projects he was undertaking. In comparison to the recent suicide (RIP Tony Scott) of Tony Scott whose death brought about a halt to the Top Gun 2 production, where does this leave Ghostbusters 3? At last talk Dan Akroyd had said he and Harold Ramis were moving forward with Ghostbusters 3 with or without Bill Murray.
http://screenrant.com/ghostbusters-3-filming-start-date-2014/
It was said the plot would revolve around Akroyd and Ramis training a new flock of Ghostbusters. Years ago Akroyd said he would never make another without Harold, but I couldn't think of a more touching memorial than to make the film he had written and dedicate it in his memory. I just hate to think his swan-song is Year One. He is a comic legend and deserves to go out on the top.

May future generations remember the brilliance Harold Ramis brought to film on and off the screen. I will definitely teach my future children not to cross the streams, and considering I own 4 different formats of Groundhog Day I would say it is safe to assume his legacy will live on, at least in my family. And as long as his writing, acting, directing, and charm brings smiles to faces around the world Harold Ramis will live forever.

RIP Harold Ramis