Samsung BD-P1500 Blu-Ray Player Owner's Thread

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
Please use this thread for the discussion of the Samsung BD-P1500 Blu-Ray Player.

Manufacturer: Samsung
Part Number: BD-P1500/XAA
Product Features

• Full HD 1080p Output for Blu-Ray Discs and selectable DVD Upconversion to 1080p
  • 1080p with 24 Hz Video Output
  • HDMI version 1.3, component video, S-Video outputs
  • Dolby® Digital, Dolby® Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, dts-HD
  • Ethernet connection lets you easily check for the latest firmware upgrades online

Technical Details

• Device Type: Blu-Ray Disc Player
  • Compatible Format: DVD+R
  • Compatible Format: DVD+RW
  • Compatible Format: BD-ROM
  • Compatible Format: AVCHD
  • Compatible Format: Audio CD
  • Remote Control: Yes
  • Playback Format: NTSC
  • Video Output: S-Video
  • Video Output: Composite Video
  • Video Output: Component Video
  • Video Output: HDMI
  • Audio Output: Optical
Product Manual and Manufacture Page
download center SAMSUNG

bicker

DTVUSA Member
My main interest would be whether this player supports closed caption decoding, in the player, rather than expecting the television to support it... does anyone know?

divxhacker

DTVUSA Member
I think closed captioning is on its way out as making a subtitle track is much cheaper. wouldn't be much call for it, unless the studio can afford it.

Check out the rates by this company: Captioning at $6/minute

I just hope they don't do any goofs with some closed caption track I saw on a Rhino Records 3-DVD pack of Rowan and Martin's Laugh In. The closed captioning trach for disc 2 and 3 are the same! Seeing the captions for Jack Benny with someone else onscreen is not just not funny, it's bad!

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
My main interest would be whether this player supports closed caption decoding, in the player, rather than expecting the television to support it... does anyone know?
I can not find one reference to CC or closed caption at the online manual here: http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/200805/20080513162220687_608A_BD-P1500_XAA-080510.pdf

I'll take a look at my hardcopy manual/quick reference guide when I get home from work this evening. Is there any way to tell which is outputing/decoding the captions if I turn them on?

bicker

DTVUSA Member
I think closed captioning is on its way out as making a subtitle track is much cheaper. wouldn't be much call for it, unless the studio can afford it.
Unfortunately, many DVDs only have closed captions, not subtitles. Examples include most Showtime series, including Dexter Season 2.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
Is there any way to tell which is outputing/decoding the captions if I turn them on?
It would not be automatic: It is something you need to be able to turn on and turn off, so if there is no way to do so, then the player doesn't support closed captions.

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
I contacted customer support at Samsung to ask them your question. They told me you would need to rely on subtitles or the TV for CC support. I asked if they currently include CC in any of their Blu-ray players and he informed me it was unavailable in any of their products at this time. I'm sure you've done a lot of searching on this subject. I'll do some researching and I'll post back when I find an option. Many of us don't think about CC, so getting it out in the forum may help to solve the issue.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
It was one of the great things about one of my current DVD players, the Pioneer 810H-S. It is one of the very few with this capability.

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
My Blu-Ray version of "300" does not play well on the BD-P1500. I've played the movie over and over, and there's a definite problem with pixelation on my Mitsubishi LT-40133. I thought the problem might have been the TV, but I've tested 2 other Blu-Ray movies that have played fine with my setup. I've checked the Disc for scratches and imperfections...no problems there. Not sure what the problem is.

D

drew1970

samsung br player

Yes, it does support Closed Captioning. That is MY problem, I can not find a way to get the captions to turn off even though the disc captions are off. Anyone have any ideas before I take a bat to this machine? LOL
Please use this thread for the discussion of the Samsung BD-P1500 Blu-Ray Player.

Manufacturer: Samsung
Part Number: BD-P1500/XAA
Product Features

• Full HD 1080p Output for Blu-Ray Discs and selectable DVD Upconversion to 1080p
  • 1080p with 24 Hz Video Output
  • HDMI version 1.3, component video, S-Video outputs
  • Dolby® Digital, Dolby® Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, dts-HD
  • Ethernet connection lets you easily check for the latest firmware upgrades online

Technical Details

• Device Type: Blu-Ray Disc Player
  • Compatible Format: DVD+R
  • Compatible Format: DVD+RW
  • Compatible Format: BD-ROM
  • Compatible Format: AVCHD
  • Compatible Format: Audio CD
  • Remote Control: Yes
  • Playback Format: NTSC
  • Video Output: S-Video
  • Video Output: Composite Video
  • Video Output: Component Video