Site loading issues

Eureka

DTVUSA Member
I'm having severe problems getting this site to load. Using Firefox 3.0.14 for Linux.
Pages basically just won't finish loading. They usually hang after loading this part of the page:

In the status window, it usually hangs on:
contacting: "rover.ebay.com" or "clearspring.com"

I can get the page to eventually load in Konqueror, but that browser won't display pages in a font large enough for me to easily read.

Anyone else having problems?

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
No problems here, but I did have it happen to me the other day on avsforum. I had to clear my cache, and it worked fine after that.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
No problems here either. I have had similar problems, in the past, on some websites. Typically these things tracked back to my ad-blocker being over-zealous.

Piggie

Super Moderator
I had moved Firefox through three computers. This being the third. My problem started on the second machine and I blamed it on Windows XP having had been running on it for a little over 2 years. Then I built this machine (out of scraps and some new drives) and it hung just the same, not just here. It would hang after more than about 8 tabs where open or Firefox had been open more than an hour or so. It would appear to hang on the ads, according to my status bar. So I turned off Ad Block Plus and it didn't help.

Then I removed all extensions, plugins, bare bones Firefox, and that didn't help a bit.

So I totally removed Firefox, including erasing the it's tracks in Program Files and Documents and Settings. I didn't bother to go through the registry. And of course, I saved those files on another drive.

Then reinstalled 3.5.3 and bingo, everything is faster than I have seen my Firefox run in a year. What happened? I don't know.

Then I added back plugins one at a time, letting each run about a day. Also a way to decide how many of the plugins I had I really didn't need.

No idea if that will help, as I never had Firefox need reloading like that before.

Eureka

DTVUSA Member
I don't use windows and haven't upgraded FF from 3.0.14 to 3.5, due to problems others have had with the new version. Anyway, I tried all the usual stuff, clearing cache, cookies, history. And I rebooted and restarted FF in Safe Mode. But this site just won't load. It's the only site I'm having problems with.

Eureka

DTVUSA Member
Update: I blocked widgetserver.com with no-script and the site eventually loads now. Before, it would just sit there and do nothing except load the page header, and then eventually time out.

Best I can tell, widgetserver.com has something to do with ebay (?).

EscapeVelocity

Moderator, , Webmaster of EV's Antenna Blog
I dont know, but its been fast for me lately. I have had problems with slow loading and or "the site being down" before. But others said the site wasnt down.

So who knows.

Piggie

Super Moderator
Update: I blocked widgetserver.com with no-script and the site eventually loads now. Before, it would just sit there and do nothing except load the page header, and then eventually time out.

Best I can tell, widgetserver.com has something to do with ebay (?).
well all I can say, I don't think it's windows to blame this time. (thought I love blaming windows).

The only common denominator I could find was it hung trying to read third party data when loading a site. But mine would get so bad it would not even load the web page out of my router.

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
I think it's the 3rd party ads. I've had similar problems before on websites, and it's almost always because of the ads. I've also had people complain to me about one of my websites after I'd put in an Amazon banner, and it was causing the page not to load for them. I changed it from the widget one to a standard banner, and all was well. So, odds are Jay has something on the front page that isn't or wasn't agreeing with your computer.

Eureka

DTVUSA Member
Orrymain, the problem is intermittently returning for me and I think you're correct. It's probably an ad or some sort of widget.

I don't have anything against site advertising - it's necessary. But off-site widgets and scripts that often cause problems or even computer lockups for slower connections are a major turnoff for site visitors.

Orrymain

Yep. I actually often get a message on my computer saying that a script is causing my computer to run slow and do I want to let it continue or stop it. It's annoying as heck, but I'm helpless to do anything about it.

Eureka

DTVUSA Member
It's the off-site ads & scripts. I blocked ALL the off-site ads and scripts on this site, using adblock plus and NO Script. The problem vanished.

Orrymain

Eureka, I think I love you! lol I just downloaded both of them and I went to a page where I normally have problems and presto, it loaded so fast. I can't believe it! Thank you so much!

Orrymain

OH, it's been wonderful. Pages load so fast now. I knew it was causing me major problems on some pages, but I had no idea how much it was interfering with all pages. Now everything loads in a snap, and if I want the script, it's one easy click, either temporary or permanent. It's just wonderful!