strange channel loss behavior

I have an antenna in the room where the tv is and mostly get good reception, especially since I extended the cord with some extra coax, it's about 18' long snaked along the wall/ceiling. Actually live very close to the broadcast towers in Madison WI but in a valley which causes some issues.

Issue is, periodically one channel WIFS 57 disappears for a few hours or overnight but always comes back. Not a big deal. But yesterday I lost all the channels from 57 which is the top channel on my range to 3 and back down to 47. So 47, 57, and 3 are all gone. 3 is the local CBS affiliate.. I'm doubting they are all having an outage that has lasted now for over 15 hours. I moved the antenna around but no change, they are all dead. However I get my other channels, 15, 21,27 just fine with full bars/signal.

I'm kind of at a loss here no pun intended. Any suggestions?

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
I have an antenna in the room where the tv is and mostly get good reception, especially since I extended the cord with some extra coax, it's about 18' long snaked along the wall/ceiling. Actually live very close to the broadcast towers in Madison WI but in a valley which causes some issues.

Issue is, periodically one channel WIFS 57 disappears for a few hours or overnight but always comes back. Not a big deal. But yesterday I lost all the channels from 57 which is the top channel on my range to 3 and back down to 47. So 47, 57, and 3 are all gone. 3 is the local CBS affiliate.. I'm doubting they are all having an outage that has lasted now for over 15 hours. I moved the antenna around but no change, they are all dead. However I get my other channels, 15, 21,27 just fine with full bars/signal.

I'm kind of at a loss here no pun intended. Any suggestions?
Comet,

You may be able to recover your lost channels by performing a TV Tuner or converter box "find channels" rescan.

Many TV Stations across the Country are in the process of moving their (real) transmitting frequencies do to the sale of TV Channel Frequencies to Cell Phone Companies. UHF TV channels used to go up to channel 83, then all from channels 70-83 were eliminated. Next to go were channels 52-69 and now TV loses another batch from channel 37 up to 51.

Jim