U4000 vs Mxu59

Tim58hsv

DTVUSA Member
Not the usual glowing review for the Mxu59 that would be expected buy yea, the Mxu59 yagi beats the 4 bay U4000 antenna on all UHF channels in this market, but not by much.

I'll start by saying I've been using the U4000 since the digital transition in 2009 and have been very happy with the results. The U4000 picks up all the Cincinnati channels on a regular basis except for one and that's a low powered station called WBQC (aka WKRP) which, according to TV Fool, has a signal strength of -3.3 db in this area.

Here's my TV Fool report.
TV Fool

So in hopes of picking up that station, the Mxu59 with all of it's "glowing" reviews seemed like it might just do the job so I ordered one...

Piece of s*** won't pick it up either! :)

I will say that all the Cincinnati channels are showing a stronger signal on the Zenith converter box with the Mxu59. They've all moved from the upper green area into the blue but poor ol' WBQC is still stuck down there in the red where nothing comes through.

Screen cap of the Zenith/Insignia signal meter

Attachments

W

WCWalker

You probably have something blocking the signal from WKRP. I own the MXU 59 too and when I lived in rural MO, I could pick up a weak UHF signal with a NM of minus 16.0 yes, that is MINUS 16.0 with the MXU 59 and a AP 8275 pre amp. Also received a couple other UHF signals with a minus NM just fine. And these were 2 edge signals. But I was unable to receive a couple of strong although weak UHF signals from another direction in that area because I had a lot of trees blocking the property from the direction where the towers were located.

Tim58hsv

DTVUSA Member
You're probably right and after I posted the above statement, I learned that WBQC was and still is having transmission problems. Still, the U4000 was getting a low signal reading from the station too so who knows? Maybe when WBQC gets things fixed the MXU 59 will pick it up since it is a bit better than the U4000.

I'll keep you all posted if there's any change.

Billiam62

DTVUSA Jr. Member
You're probably right and after I posted the above statement, I learned that WBQC was and still is having transmission problems. Still, the U4000 was getting a low signal reading from the station too so who knows? Maybe when WBQC gets things fixed the MXU 59 will pick it up since it is a bit better than the U4000.

I'll keep you all posted if there's any change.
I just set up a MXU 47 at my home in Covington, KY which is a mile or so from downtown Cincy. With a RCA pre amp I am able to pick up Ch. 2 and Ch. 7 from Dayton reliably. Can occasionally pick up Ch. 22 and Ch. 26 if I rotate the antenna slightly. Probably trees in the way again or a building since the towers seem to be in the same location. Will buy a rotor and see if this solves the problem. Also thinking about buying another antenna with VHF to use for DXing and for the FM tuner I have.

I may try my MXU 59 at this location as well. It has a wee bit more gain than the MXU 47.