View The Solar Eclipse Sunday 7/11

Yes616

The Mod Squad
Well this eclipse will not be viewable in the US. Or will it? It seems that Dish Network viewers WILL be able to see it!

Thanks to the good old DISH EARTH channel that offers live views of the earth from the 110° west orbital location, you will be able to see the shadow of the moon pass over the central and south Pacific Ocean starting just after 1PM EDT / 10AM PDT on Sunday. (It starts just after 1700 UTC. Someone correct me if my figures are off).

Here is a link to it's path.. Solar Eclipse of July 11, 2010

Now if you look at DISH EARTH channel 287, you can see that is where that camera in space is aimed at. If you want to record it on your DVR, you will need to do it manually.

Enjoy! :dance:

spokybob

DTVUSA Member
I recorded it today. Then I watched it at 300x speed. Really nice. My one chance at a total eclipse was about 30 years ago in the Pacific Northwest. Alas, that morning was solid cloud cover. Another time I watched a partial eclipse wearing my welder helmet.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Never did get to see a total solar eclipse, ( it got cloudy for the one chance I had when I was a kid in the 60's in NY) but lots of partials and even more lunar. Lunar eclipses are cool, if you have a decent telescope. You start out the evening with a full moon and hardly any stars visible, and at mid-eclipse you can check out galaxies in dark skies under a surreal copper red moon. And there's a lot more chances to see a lunar eclipse than a solar!

December 11, 2010 is the last total lunar eclipse well placed for the USA: http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/LEplot/LEplot2001/LE2010Dec21T.pdf There will be 4 very good total lunar eclipses visible from USA in 2014-2015. NASA - Lunar Eclipses: 2011 - 2020

Last edited:

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
I think way way back in the dark ages, when I was a kid, there was some really big eclipse. They had the entire class together at school, all with the right kind of eye gear, watching.