What options to consider when buying a DVR for OTA?

Keith

DTVUSA Member
Getting ready to cut the cord, going OTA and internet streaming. I'm looking for a DVR to hook up to one antenna and would like to have multi-room playback and good features for programming, etc... What specific options are available for setting up a house system with one device? We have several smart TV's, DVD with wi-fi and two roku boxes. Any suggestions on brands or options to look for in a good DVR?

James

DTVUSA Member
Check out the Channel Master DVR bundle. PRETTY SWEET. NO subscription!

• This bundle includes: DVR+, USB wireless Internet adapter, 12' HDMI and DVR+ remote
  • Watch and record over-the-air broadcast programming in pure, uncompressed HD, a higher quality video than what is provided through cable and satellite operators, displaying both SD and HD video resolutions up to 1080i/1080p
  • DVR+ TV connection is HDMI only, does not function as a converter box and is not compatible with older analog televisions
  • Full DVR functionality and expanded storage capacity requires an external USB hard drive, not included in this bundle
  • Programming reception requires an over-the-air antenna, not included in this bundle

cpormann

DTVUSA Member
About 3 months ago I purchased the Channel Master DVR+, the Remote Control Extender and !TB HD from Channel Master. I used a HDMI cable from Amazon and Ethernet cable tied to Hub I have installed behind my TV ( the Hub connects my DVR+ ,ROKU, Blue Ray to my Router – Yes the back of my TV is a Geeks playground, with all the HDMI cables Antenna Cable and connection for PC my wife won't go near it even to dust)
This was not a cheap en diver. ($377.98 with shipping) But I can't stand watching so many Commercials
I am in a great location and get about 25 English OTA channels. Because I get such a strong signal from my LP345F log periodic antenna I have a splitter (Not Recommended but works for me) in the antenna line behind the TV splitting the signal to the DVR+ and to the TV this way I can record two programs on the DVR+ and watch one on the TV at the same time if I want to. Otherwise you would only be able to record one and watch another.

*You would think that a 1TB HD was overkill, however in less then 3 months I am using about 27% of the hard drive and after watching and deleting it runs between 25 and 30 per cent of the HD.
*I have received 2 updates to the software on the DVR+ and I have not had any problems with software bugs in the system. I have never seen the downloads of the schedule of programs for the guide, but it is always there.
*My main reason for buying the DVR+ is to bypass commercials and that works great. When you are old like me, you get CRS and I would forget what I was watching and what was going on in the story after 10 commercials. What I have done so far – I am recording “the 100” and “24” and will watch them all in a row without commercials. This is a great way to enjoy these continuing stories.
*A lot of money YES but when you are not paying a Cable bill you will have the money.

Keith

DTVUSA Member
If I want to record on the dvr and then watch it on any tv in the house, what is the best way to hook that up? Can I use the channel master and control with remote from different room? I've heard of some devices that will send/receive over wi-fi and then use smart tv or roku to playback. Is that the best way and what DVR's can do that?

If I want to record on the dvr and then watch it on any tv in the house, what is the best way to hook that up? Can I use the channel master and control with remote from different room? I've heard of some devices that will send/receive over wi-fi and then use smart tv or roku to playback. Is that the best way and what DVR's can do that?
I have no experience with this, so I turned to Google.

- If you have WiFi strong enough to be reliable, or a broadband connection in all rooms, with good upstream bandwidth for the DVR, you can use a slingbox, with cables connecting a computer to a TV in each room.
- Or if you have TiVo, you can get a TiVo mini box for $80 plus $5.99 per month that will let you stream from the main TiVo to another TV. (May not be available in all areas.)
- Simple.TV sells a "streaming DVR" that recently gained the ability to send shows to a Chromecast. So again, you need WiFi or a good broadband connection.
- A wired connection would be more stable, but might require knocking hole(s) in wall(s) and/or an electrician. You can get an HDMI splitter as well as IR repeater(s) to control the DVR from the other room(s). About $40 for each extra TV.
- Or you can get an HDBaseT matrix, which connects it all up (including up to 100 Watts of power) with single line ethernet cables. Only one company makes it so far, so prices are steep. Something like $300 to get started + the holes and electricians.

In every case, you still can only watch one show from the main DVR at any given time. Might be better to have one DVR in every room, and use an IR repeater if you want to start/stop recording from another room. I'm pretty sure you can program a fancy Harmony remote to work the controls for two or three DVRs simultaneously.

Rick

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Check at Best Buy (online) for the TiVo Roamio OTA dvr. I recently purchased one for $50. TiVo is selling them through best buy for $50
$50 is pretty inexpensive. Unfortunately, the cost of the subscription for the guide is high ($15 a month) will easily add hundreds of dollars to the cost in no time.

dkreichen1968

Staff member
I was an "early adopter" of a OTA DVR, and I'm the proud owner of a Dish DTVpal DVR. I also have two iView 3500STBs. I've thought about getting a DVR+, but I just don't seem to watch enough TV right now to make it more than an expensive toy. I watch either "whatever's on" or web videos.