Whats the Best Indoor Digital Antenna AND Convertor Box

DTVnotworking

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I see some ppl commenting on convertor boxes getting warm no zooms and other stuff. Like many others I lost most channels and the ones that do come in sometimes do sometimes dont, the only channels that give me no problems at all in Columbia MD are channel 2 ABC, FOX 45, and CW channel 54 thats it everything else I dont get at all or maybe I will maybe I wont. So Im thinking the convertor box digital antenna combination means alot and it looks like I got stuck with the worse, I ended up with a Magnavox Convertor box and Tivax digital antenna (amped). Truthfully being naive about the whole situation because I didnt want to be bothered with it we just picked up the only convertors they had at sears with the coupon when they were all in high demand, I didnt even think about different brands I thought it was just universal. But once I got the box home I immediatley thought this thing is cheap with the no buttons and crappy graphics. And the antenna, I just looked for the biggest bargain with the highest ratings and best comments on Amazon, so this is what Im stuck with. So could anyone someone give us a great convertor box/digital amped antenna combo mix that they know of so I can trade these crappy ones in and hopefully get better results than Im getting. Thanx

BTW if this makes a difference I live in a brick apartment bldng and do not have cable (not by choice for some crazy reason cant get it on my side of the street)

Last edited:
Antenna selection depends on your location and distance, and terrain. If you live under 15 miles an Indoor antenna such as the RS1880 (trekkie) or a Terk HDTVa/HDTVi would probably do well.

Of course for the BEST reception, you'll need an outdoor antenna on your roof properly aimed.

Facts:

Outdoors is better then indoors

higher is better then lower

My combo is a Tivax STB-T8 converter box (highly praised by consumer reports and good reviews on Amazon) and a basic RCA - Indoor Off-Air HDTV Antenna. The antenna is a very basic UHF/VHF with no amplifying but it had good reviews on Best Buy and it was $9. I had no issues with it before the digital switch and both products still seem to be doing well except that I lost 2 channels, but lots of people in the LA area seem to have lost the same ones. So maybe it's not my hardware that's to blame since everything was working fine before. Not sure what could work best for your area but that's my set up.

I see some ppl commenting on convertor boxes getting warm no zooms and other stuff. Like many others I lost most channels and the ones that do come in sometimes do sometimes dont, the only channels that give me no problems at all in Columbia MD are channel 2 ABC, FOX 45, and CW channel 54 thats it everything else I dont get at all or maybe I will maybe I wont. So Im thinking the convertor box digital antenna combination means alot and it looks like I got stuck with the worse, I ended up with a Magnavox Convertor box and Tivax digital antenna (amped). Truthfully being naive about the whole situation because I didnt want to be bothered with it we just picked up the only convertors they had at sears with the coupon when they were all in high demand, I didnt even think about different brands I thought it was just universal. But once I got the box home I immediatley thought this thing is cheap with the no buttons and crappy graphics. And the antenna, I just looked for the biggest bargain with the highest ratings and best comments on Amazon, so this is what Im stuck with. So could anyone someone give us a great convertor box/digital amped antenna combo mix that they know of so I can trade these crappy ones in and hopefully get better results than Im getting. Thanx

BTW if this makes a difference I live in a brick apartment bldng and do not have cable (not by choice for some crazy reason cant get it on my side of the street)
Approximately how far from broadcast towers are you? Have you done a TV Fool plot yet?

Some indoor antennas work up to 20 miles away. Some indoor antennas do not work from 5-0 miles away because they're amplified which overloads the signal to the converter box.