Wifi connection w/ cell phone constantly connects, disconnects, connects, disconnects...etc - Time Warner Internet

This question is about "Wifi connection w/ cell phone constantly connects, disconnects, connects, disconnects...etc", with Time Warner Cable internet and apps. Got the new Wave 2 router this weekend. Works great with my laptop, however when my cell phone (google nexus 5x) tries to connect to it, it connects, stays connected for a couple of seconds, then drops signal, then reconnects, then drops, reconnects...etc etc etc. constantly back and forth. This is killing my battery life (and using up my data).

ive tried just connecting just to the 2.4 band, just the 5 ghz band, and both, and it still does this. distance doesnt matter because it still does it when im standing just 2 feet from the router. ive tried connecting via wps, and no luck either.

talked to google and lg (maker of the phone) and we've tried rebooting the cell phone in safe mode, but no luck either. they say theres nothing wrong with the phone.

Anything else i can try?

Wifi connection w/ cell phone constantly connects, disconnects, connects, disconnects...etc?