What Channel Is the Mummers Parade on: A Celebration of Philadelphia’s Unique Tradition
The Mummers Parade, held annually on New Year’s Day in Philadelphia, is a vibrant and colorful tradition that has been captivating audiences for over a century. This lively event showcases various divisions, each with their own theme, costumes, and performances. If you’re wondering what channel you can tune into to catch this festive spectacle, read on to find out. Additionally, we will explore five fascinating facts about the Mummers Parade that you might not know.
The Mummers Parade is typically broadcasted on PHL17, a local television station based in Philadelphia. This channel has been the official broadcaster of the parade for several years, providing live coverage to viewers in the city and beyond. PHL17 is dedicated to showcasing the rich cultural heritage of Philadelphia, and the Mummers Parade is undoubtedly one of the highlights of their programming.
Now, let’s dive into some intriguing facts about the Mummers Parade:
1. Origins: The Mummers Parade traces its roots back to ancient European customs, particularly those from England, Ireland, and Sweden. These traditions involved people dressing in masks and costumes and parading through the streets to celebrate the winter solstice. In the late 17th century, immigrants brought these customs to Philadelphia, where they evolved into the Mummers Parade we know today.
2. Divisions: The parade consists of four main divisions: Comics, Fancies, String Bands, and Fancy Brigades. Each division has its unique style and performance. The Comics division delights the audience with their humorous skits and antics, while the Fancies division showcases elaborate costumes and choreographed routines. The String Bands, accompanied banjos and saxophones, perform intricate musical arrangements. Lastly, the Fancy Brigades combine music, dance, and theatricality to deliver awe-inspiring performances.
3. Strut: One of the most thrilling aspects of the Mummers Parade is the “strut,” a synchronized dance performed the participants. The strut involves intricate footwork, twirling umbrellas, and energetic movements that add to the festive atmosphere. The participants practice for months to perfect their routines, creating a mesmerizing spectacle for the viewers.
4. Tradition and Competition: The Mummers Parade is not only a celebration but also a fiercely competitive event. Each division competes for prizes, including the coveted title of “Best overall presentation.” The competition drives the participants to push their creativity to the limits, resulting in breathtaking displays of talent and showmanship.
5. Philadelphia’s Pride: The Mummers Parade is deeply ingrained in Philadelphia’s culture and identity. It brings together people from all walks of life, fostering a sense of community and pride in the city’s heritage. The parade attracts thousands of spectators annually, who line the streets to cheer on the participants and revel in the festive atmosphere.
Now, let’s address some common questions about the Mummers Parade:
1. What time does the Mummers Parade start?
The parade typically starts at 9:00 AM on New Year’s Day.
2. What is the route of the Mummers Parade?
The parade route stretches along Broad Street, from South Philadelphia to City Hall.
3. How long does the Mummers Parade last?
The parade usually lasts around six to seven hours, depending on the number of participants and performances.
4. Can I attend the Mummers Parade in person?
Yes, the parade is open to the public, and spectators are welcome to line the streets and enjoy the festivities.
5. Can I watch the Mummers Parade online?
Yes, PHL17 usually provides a live stream of the parade on their website, allowing viewers from around the world to join the celebration.
6. Are there any age restrictions for participating in the Mummers Parade?
No, people of all ages can participate in the parade, from young children to senior citizens.
7. How are the winners determined in the competition?
The winners are determined a panel of judges who evaluate each division’s performance based on various criteria, including costumes, music, choreography, and overall presentation.
8. Are there any safety measures in place during the parade?
Yes, the Mummers Parade organizers work closely with local authorities to ensure the safety of both participants and spectators. Security personnel are present throughout the route.
9. Can I bring my own food and drinks to the parade?
Yes, you are allowed to bring your own food and non-alcoholic drinks. However, alcohol consumption is prohibited along the parade route.
10. Are pets allowed at the Mummers Parade?
While pets are generally not encouraged due to the large crowds and noise, they are allowed as long as they are well-behaved and leashed.
11. What happens if it rains during the parade?
The Mummers Parade takes place rain or shine. Participants and spectators are advised to dress accordingly for inclement weather.
12. Can I join a Mummers group to participate in the parade?
Yes, many Mummers groups welcome new members. You can reach out to the specific division you are interested in or check local community centers for information on joining a group.
13. What is the history behind the Mummers’ costumes?
The Mummers’ costumes are often elaborate and ornate, representing different themes and characters. They are designed and handmade the participants themselves, showcasing their creativity and craftsmanship.
14. Can I take photographs or record videos during the parade?
Yes, photography and videography are allowed during the parade, as long as it does not disrupt the flow or safety of the event.
The Mummers Parade is a vibrant and cherished tradition that brings joy to both participants and spectators. Whether you watch it on PHL17 or join the crowd on the streets of Philadelphia, this celebration of culture and community is an experience not to be missed. So, gather your friends and family, tune in to PHL17, and immerse yourself in the colorful world of the Mummers Parade.